27 weeks and still no egg from my EE

ddmiddle7

Songster
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
OK, I am starting to get worried now...I have 5 pullets that are 27 weeks old today. 2 EE, 2BR, and 1BSL. All but one of the EE's (Blondie) have been laying now for at least 4 weeks. One of my BR's laid her first egg at 18 weeks. Blondie has been squatting forever, could she be sterile? I have searched the entire yard almost everyday for about two weeks now and can't find signs of a hidden nest anywhere. All of my other girls lay in the boxes all the time. Is there anything I need to do or look for? She is one of the lower girls in the pecking order but is in great health and extremely active. She eats and drinks regularly with the other girls, roosts with them at night...just no eggs. I am sad because I really was looking forward to finding out what color egg she laid. But more then anything I want to make sure she is ok. Any advice?
idunno.gif

Yeah my other EE, Chickie(Can you tell I let my 3 year old name some of the chickens?), gives me about 5-6 eggs a week usually 6....it's just weird cause she has been squatting for like a month!!!

I am still waiting for my 3 EE's to begin laying, but they are a week younger than yours. One of them has been squatting for about a week, and this morning, they were all in the hen house quite fascinated with Agnes who was in the nest box. I am hoping that is a good sign!

How do you know for sure she isnt laying? If you have another EE, it could be they have the same egg color...

same thing happened to me. I have 3 Barred Rocks(sisters), and two of them started laying in the beginning of August(25 weeks). The third girl was not develping a comb or wattles, but was squatting. I also thought she was sterile, but then about two weeks ago her comb started growing, and I just my first egg from her last week(32 weeks).

Last edited:
Quote:
I have never seen her in the nesting boxes....not to mention I am only getting 5-6 green eggs a week and Chickie, the other EE, is in the boxes almost every day I get home. I know its gotta be her laying the eggs.

Florida_country_boy - Well hopefully my situation turns out ok in the end like yours. Thanks for sharing...

I will let you know when/if I get one.

Back
Top Bottom