28 Days and Counting! Anyone starting today?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cherstin, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Cherstin

Cherstin Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Hi everyone! Well it didn't take my family and I long for the fever to set in. We set the incubator back up yesterday and I just placed 3 (beautiful, might I add) guinea eggs inside!

I bought from Ebay and the woman has been terrific. I requested a smaller auction because many of her auctions were for 6, 12, 18 eggs. My little R-Com only holds three. LOL [​IMG]

This auction was for Powder Blue, White, and Pearl. I can't wait to see what comes out! The auction was actually for 4 eggs (I didn't want to lose one during shipping and only have 2 to incubate). I will be placing an ad today for a free Guinea egg on Craigslist if anyone is in the area. I selected the three cleanest eggs and they all seem to be a little different. This is our first experience with guinea eggs so I'm not sure if shell color and design has anything to do with what's inside. That'll be additional research for me to pass these next 28 days! [​IMG]

Just wanted to see if anyone else was starting today on a 28-day hatch. I'll keep everyone posted!

2. hambone84

hambone84 In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    Kansas
    Im starting 28 wild turkey eggs today! Good luck with your hatch ill keep you updated...are u candling on day 8???

3. Cherstin

Cherstin Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Most definitely, if I don't attempt it before then too. [​IMG] I actually ordered 4 eggs for my three egg incubator in case I lost any to shipping. If I candle and see a dud, I will put the spare egg in. I was going to put it on Craigslist but I'd be sad if I got rid of it and then wished I'd kept it. LOL

Good luck with your eggs! Incubating right now is sort of hard on the nerves. We're in the middle of thunderstorm season (I can hear it rumbling now as I'm typing) and I'm scared of a power outage. The power went out this morning for about 3 minutes. I checked the temp when the incubator came back on and it had lost one Celsius degree while the power was out. That's not too shabby but I'm afraid of what might happen if it's out for a long time. Lots of nail-biting going on so thanks for the well-wishes!

What are your plans for your new flock? What do wild turkey eggs look like? I imagine them being brown. These guinea eggs are brown and I'm wondering if they'll candle well or not so good. Well, I guess I'll find out in a few days! [​IMG] Enjoy your weekend!

4. countrybound

countrybound In the Brooder

May 18, 2009
    I have 35 coturnix quail eggs that I put in the bator yesterday (but counting today as day 1 since it was late afternoon). [​IMG]

I'm leary of any of these eggs being ok...the box was smashed a bit on one corner and 1 egg was broken. And my temp has spiked to 107 twice now! I have a LG and I scored a pc fan and ac adapter on Freecycle to put inside the bator to help regulate the temps better.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  5. Cherstin

Cherstin Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Don't worry ... let's candle together in a few days and see what's up. I only have three so it won't take me long. You might take a while. [​IMG]

Are you worried about afternoon thunderstorms? I tend to lose power like crazy out here in the sticks. And I think I'm at the end of the line when it comes to turning power back on. I plan on keeping an eye on the incubator as much as I can and I guess if I DO lose power in the next 27 days I'll wait until I think I've lost all my heat and then put the eggs in the garage. I know it's hot as sin out there. Eggs could probably hatch if I just left them in there. Hot and humid .. it's like the first ever two-car incubator! LOL

Where do you go for your feed and supplies? There's a Tractor Supply Company in Port Charlotte that I have been going to but I'd love to see more of a selection. Anyway, good luck with your eggs and have a great weekend!

PS ---- I love the idea of the fan in there. Great score on Freecycle, that's for sure. Very neat idea!

6. countrybound

countrybound In the Brooder

May 18, 2009
    You know, I wasn't worried about a power outage until we had one today [​IMG] The power was out for 7 hrs. I put the bator in the garage (it's like a sauna in there!...thought it would be the best place) while the power was out for awhile. The temp went down to about 85 degrees and humidity 85%! I moved it into the house near the end and it was the same. I hope they will be ok esp since it's still so early...day 3 I think.

There's not much selection for feed where I am either. I plan on candling them on Sat...yes, we could do it together. Report back if you do yours before then.

7. Cherstin

Cherstin Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Reporting early ... because I cheated ... LOL [​IMG]

Tried candling today but I'm having a really really hard time with these brown shells. I think my three are viable! The air sacs looked great on the large end of the egg and unless my eyes are deceiving me, I think I saw some red lines running thru the eggs as well! I'm going to (seriously) try to wait another three days and maybe get a better flashlight while I'm at it. I still have this one spare egg and it would be a shame to let it go to waste. I figure I'll try again maybe Friday and if all goes well I'll put the egg up on Craigs as "free to good home: one egg." Hahaha [​IMG]

I am listening to the thunder roll outside tonight. I think that I'm a light enough sleeper that if the power goes out tonight, I'll hear my little window a/c turn off and then I'll get up and do the garage thing, too. You are going to candle yours in another few days too? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Best of luck and let me know how it's looking!

Take care!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: