28th day pekin duck incubation help!

quackaddict94

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2017
I have pekin ducks in their 28th day it appears as if the duck can't get through the membrane! His egg has been wiggling since day 25 it appears as tho the beak is hitting the membrane but it's not breaking.... so""do I help? Or leave it
1f629.png

I am not a hatcher, but you may need to intervene. Before you jump in, though. Opening the incubator can zip lock the eggs, killing them.

@Lacrystol

@WVduckchick

@dotknott

@sumi

@learycow

are hatchers. There is also a hatching forum, and I think somewhere on BYC is an article on when to intervene.

Ok thanks it's just weird because today is day 28 and they arnt even through the air pocket yet...

I have a new still air incubator it has a automatic temp that was set at 99.5 all the way through development ... I did candle all the way through the embryos developed nicely and were vary active I started spraying them every morning after 7 days and stopped on the 25th humidity varied but I kept it constant around 45-50% now I have them setting in an incubator at around 98 degrees with a higher humidity for hatching ... a lot of wiggles are happening but no internal pips and it's day 28.. I'm wondering if they were not ready to set yet or if they are stuck ...

I have a new still air incubator it has a automatic temp that was set at 99.5 all the way through development ... I did candle all the way through the embryos developed nicely and were vary active I started spraying them every morning after 7 days and stopped on the 25th humidity varied but I kept it constant around 45-50% now I have them setting in an incubator at around 98 degrees with a higher humidity for hatching ... a lot of wiggles are happening but no internal pips and it's day 28.. I'm wondering if they were not ready to set yet or if they are stuck ...

Sorry, just seeing this. I hope you have seen some action by now, but I'll make a couple points anyway.

Even new incubators are notorious for being "off" temp an humidity wise. Get yourself a couple extras (even cheap ones work) and independently test them. Google how-to, as different tests are available, depending on the style you get.

Are you positive of the day count? Day 1 doesn't start until 24 hours after set. The easy way is the day of the week you set them on is the day they should hatch (21-chickens, 28-ducks ((mallard-derived ducks))

And 28 is just a guideline. If temps were a bit low, it can cause delays of a day or two.

Were they fresh eggs? Locally sourced? Any power outages? Trying to grasp at possibilities of what could have delayed things...

The eggs are from metzer farms... I have 5 in the hatching phase but today I did notice the one little guy internally pipped. the others didn't make it to the air pocket and I'm not seeing movement today I'm thinking they didn't make it. I have more that are going to be moved to the hatcher on Wednesday I'll have to double check my temp and hope for a better hatch with the next batch

Ah, I'm sorry. Maybe together we can dial in what may have happened. Keep trying though! Unfortunately there is alot of trial and error involved.

Back
Top Bottom