29 weeks and still no eggs!

So glad to read these posts!! My black orps. are around 30+ weeks and still NOTHING! Their waddles and combs are bright red and the are giving me a headache with all their noise (lol). They are out all day then go back to their coop at night on their own. I thought it might be due to all the rain we're having here in Homestead. I'll keep searching everyday!

It's been 2 weeks since this post and I FINALLY have eggs!!!!!! First day-1 egg, second day-2 eggs, today-4!!!

Last edited:
Hi Pommie Chick,

Since you are into your winter, it's not surprising that they aren't laying yet. I'd add some light since they need around 16 hours a day to consistently produce eggs. My Buffs started laying at about 24-25 weeks, but they were spring chicks, so the light wasn't an issue. It did drop off a little bit though our winter here (NW Florida), but not too much. I've not had to buy any eggs at all since my chickens started laying! :). Let us know when it happens! I have some summer chicks now, so it will be winter time for me (around Christmas) when mine are due to start laying. Then, I'll be feeling like you are now :).

I am starting to feel VERY lucky!

I have 2 BO pullets and 4 RIR's which are 7 months old.

The BO's started laying around the 24 week mark, and the RIR's followed shortly thereafter.

I was surprised actually, as I had heard they can hold off laying anywhere up to the 35 week mark.

The good news is once they start laying they are quite good at it! I have had a few soft shelled eggs as the girls ironed out the kinks in the egg factory, but other than that they are good for at least 5 eggs each a week, sometimes 6.

The wait is long and hard, I know. But the Orpies are so worth it - mine are so funny and sweet, and I just love them to bits. I would keep them even if they never laid another egg.

Gee, I hope they're not reading this though.....!

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom