-2F (-19C) and the ducks are out + pics

Autsch, gravel driveway. We used to have one and you could not snow blow it nicely. It was always a mess. So eventually we have it paved and now it is so much nicer. The black tar warms up and melts it off, and snow blowing is so much easier now. You don't suck in gravel and break the stupid break-away pin in the darn blower.

We don't bother blowing it. I have AWD. My DH car was stuck in 2008, but since we both work from home, we just shared my car. Pick-up has 4-Wheel drive and chains, if you can get it started....old piece of junk. This year he is talking new AWD car to replace his, especially if this is just a preview of what's coming.

Ducks and chickens finally came out this afternoon as it warmed up a bit.....well to 20F. Son just went out to give them some scratch and meal worms to get them through the night. Only supposed to go down to 16F tonight. A regular heat wave!

We also run a business from home. It's a mail order business and we have trucks coming in. It' usually just the UPS and postal trucks, but sometimes we get deliveries on tractor trailers. This means we have to keep the parking lot and driveway clear or they will not come in and dump a pallet of stuff on the road or take it back to their depot. It was once bad with the gravel and we had to shuttle with our 4 wheel drive SUV forwards and backward to the road to get it all. Took us about 6 trips up the driveway. The truckers get really pissy when they have to wait. Told the guy to drop it onto the road and we will take care of it.

That is what our main concern has been for our little 1 legged momma Oreo, is frost bite. My son and I are noticing more and more that her leg/foot is getting weaker, and her foot is turning more inward then staying straight or outward rather and it's making her lose balance easier. So, I'm not putting much time/effort in a shelter, they stay on the deck with the igloo and hay inside it over the bedding and when she's cold she does go in, otherwise I have a rubber truck mat I've got and put it on our floor over the heat register and a blanket and bring them in at night out of the cold. I'm going with my gut feeling on this one, I think the worst thing to do is for her to be outside 24/7. Something tells me sooner rather then later she won't be able to stand on that leg. I hope I'm wrong.

Make sure to give her plenty of greens to eat. They all contain niacin, which she needs a lot of. Is she still laying eggs? If yes, then keep on supplementing her drinking water with vitamins and minerals. The powder from QGF has all of what she needs in it. Give it to her twice per month or even once per week. It all will help her. You can also consider giving her a lamp with UVA and B in it in addition to the daylight she is getting. Make sure she gets at least 12 hours of natural light. They make those special light bulbs for parrots and you can find them in the pet store. It will stimulate vitamin D production in her body, which she needs for strong bones and to absorb the calcium from her diet. Make sure to offer her oyster shell on the side. It's not just for eggs, but also her bones. You may want her to sleep indoors, since she is such a special needs duck. She cannot switch feet to keep one under her downs to warm up. So her one foot is a big concern. You can prevent frost bite, but it is hard to deal with it once it has happened. Give her at least 6 inches of hay depth in the dog igloo.

Rooting for Oreo! I hope she is OK.
yippiechickie.gif

I have to order more Niacin, but no Oreo isn't laying any more eggs since she went broody and I pulled them 6wks ago. Since she laid her eggs and went broody before I took them the constant laying and not getting much exercise she still hasn't rebounded which I thought she would have now since she was free and roaming. The weight she lost during broody she gained back, but her strength in her leg is declining. She is tiring out more easily, and she is by no mean a heavy duck. I see it and have been seeing it, and now my son is seeing it to without me having to point it out. So as much as I planned on keeping them outside, as I said I am letting them outside for a few hours bring them in to warm up, and when they ask to go back out, I let them back out, but bring them in for the night. But I do offer greens, like th Spring Mix Salad, and hopefully the hay she will munch on in the igloo.

But your duck pens and suggestions have truly helped give me ideas for the spring when I get serious about building a shelter. Hopefully my dh will be done with his assignment and can help me, however he's talking another year because so far they nor he is finding another assignment outside of Afghanistan or back in the States. So we shall see what I can do by myself. But one thing for sure, if I can help it I won't have Oreo lay again, but if she does, I won't have her go broody I will take the eggs until she is done laying. It takes to much out of her to sit for that long of a time constantly.

Back
Top Bottom