2nd day, catching chicks fighting over bugs - grit ?

HotNoob

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
so, i got the chicks/pullets june 05 from the hatchery, june 08 @ 2AM checking temp cause coldest part of the night, i catch them fighting over bugs!
the day before, they were digging a lot in the bedding, so thought maybe not enough grit in the feed.
put a handful of local sand in, disappeared in about 2 hours.

probably too soon to give grit?
reading online there are tons of different opinions.

anywho, considering they are eating bugs, should i give grit to compensate?
i also understand for them to build up immunity, they should get exposure via local dirt anyways.

at 2:50 you can see them fighting over the bug. they only ate the legs of the bigger bugs.
the heat lamps are attracting bugs at night. watched for an hour, they probably ate about 5 bugs in that time.

TL;DR, young chicks eating bugs that crawl in, should i provide extra grit?

it is a more course sand, or i can make it more course with some sifting, can go all the way up to gravel.

at what age can i start using it as bedding?
i have a free unlimited supply of it.

also, top soil is 90% sand, no small rocks in the top soil, so i don't think the sod would make much difference in my case.

can they eat too many bugs?
checked tonight at midnight, walk in, turned on the 2nd heat lamp and 5 beetles flew in within 5 minutes. counted 10 beetles over 1 hour of time.

takes the chicks about 10-20 minutes to kill one and completely eat, cause they are tough.

will probably be 2 hours of "battle" with the beetles for how many flew in.

can they eat too many bugs?
checked tonight at midnight, walk in, turned on the 2nd heat lamp and 5 beetles flew in within 5 minutes. counted 10 beetles over 1 hour of time.

takes the chicks about 10-20 minutes to kill one and completely eat, cause they are tough.

will probably be 2 hours of "battle" with the beetles for how many flew in.

Bug-zapping is one of my favorite chicken features!

If you are feeding them almost any commercial chick starter feed, it contains grit. You probably won't have to worry about separate grit, even with the bug supplements. The little bits of corn in their feed are much harder than a beetle shell.

Yes feed grit , just stick a pan of chick grit in the brooder.

day 1 - they will eat it all and freak you out.
After that they’ll just pick at it.

Back
Top Bottom