Young chicks eating coco fiber?

Logar

Chirping
Mar 31, 2024
So I have 6 amazing 6 day old chicks. They are all very friendly and love eating food out of my hand. I just feed them their regular chick food and they try and shove each other out of the way to get it. However, for the past couple of days, one of my chicks seems to enjoy dust bathing in the food with some quick stops to get a little snack. So this led to me giving them a small (well not that small as all of them could fit in it) dust bath with a mixture of coco fiber, some leaves, a bit of mulch, and a small amount of sand that was left over from one of my reptile enclosures and dried out. This didn’t really work out how I thought. It was in there for around 24 hours and taken out last night. They wouldn’t stop picking at it. While this wouldn’t worry me usually but coco fiber does.I didn’t think this through originally but coco fiber expands when it gets wet. I am really worried I may have endangered my little buddies and don’t know what to do. I don’t really think this is going to do anything but I do give them a small amount of grit sprinkled on their food every other day.What should I do? Is there anything I can do? Am I overthinking this?

A chick dust bath should be dry sand and/or dry dirt, soil, not really a mixture of landscaping materials. They're going to eat anything you put in there. It's good for them to get used to your soil so just take a shovel and opt for that and/or sand. Or nothing at all. They're not really going to be needing a dust bath for at least a few more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom