2nd Egg But's It's a Beaut!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duckking, Jan 26, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    My Delaware lay her first egg 2 days ago and it was shelless (?). What a mess she was! Well, go figure......my RIR who is in the house recovering from surgery for an injury and showing no egg laying behaviour at all (squatting, nesting, etc.) was squawking up a storm late this AM. I thought it was because I dared to leave the room. NO!!! She laid a perfect, hard-shelled, smallish, brown egg! The other three have been showing all the classic signs for days now and all I have gotten was a yolk and white covered bird!

Ain't nature grand! I'm going to leave it in the nest box we made for Foghorn and let my son find it. He will be in heaven!!!! But we can't eat it, because she is on antibiotics [​IMG] Have to wait until 3 weeks after her last dose before we can...says the vet.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    Congrats!! Ours have been laying since July and we still get excited to find eggs!

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Congrats.

It is truly funny the eggs newly laying chickens will lay.

Some very small, some soft shelled, some "Wingless." It's a wonder.

The first eggs are indeed very exciting. And yes, even years later, I still get excited when I find
    eggs in the nest box.

Have fun.

Geri

4. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I also still get excited about finding eggs. It never gets old. It is like a daily present because they are never the same.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! [​IMG] I never tire of checking for my eggs!

6. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thanks all. It really is so exciting! I'm just waiting for all the rest to lay. They have been showing all the signs for 4 days now and NADA! I just want to squeeze them out of them! Well....not really. GO HENS GO!!!! or LAY HENS LAY? Maybe I should get my old pom poms out....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by