2nd found dead in pen in 2 weeks- graphic pic!

I found this video of a mink killing chickens in the coop enlightening because I was wondering about the mode of attack. The geese were as terrified as the chickens, though a light in the coop might have helped them out. NOTE: this is a disturbing video of chickens being killed by a mink!
šŸ˜Ÿit does look like they wanted to, but clueless as to what to do. I thought they were supposed to make noise? Never saw them open their beaks.

šŸ˜Ÿit does look like they wanted to, but clueless as to what to do. I thought they were supposed to make noise? Never saw them open their beaks.
Even though there must have been some kind of light, like a red light, for the camera to work, it looked to me like all of the birds were nightblind. So, I donā€™t think that the geese could see, so they were just petrified and looking for escape like the chickens were.

Even though there must have been some kind of light, like a red light, for the camera to work, it looked to me like all of the birds were nightblind. So, I donā€™t think that the geese could see, so they were just petrified and looking for escape like the chickens were.
So...it's a good thing that even though it's a very low light, that I have the solar bulbs in there? Initially it was bc if they didn't get inside fast enough & the coop got dark, they wldnt go in. Those stay on all the time except when they flit abt and unplug them from solar panels and I don't catch it.Solar xmas lights outside kick off late in the night, and the battery op lights are more for monitoring.

So...I guess not then.

Iā€™ve lost a few ducks on my ponds to a hawk and a bobcat. I got on the waterfowl forums then, wondering if adding a goose would help protect the ducks. The consensus was that the goose would fall prey to whatever was eating the ducks, and that they require more specialized housing than what I wanted to provide. I do think people keep watch geese, but that seems a little redundant when I have guinea fowl! My guineas have gotten to be better watchdogs as theyā€™ve gotten older. The last time that a bobcat went for a duck, the guineas gave me plenty of warning first.

So...it's a good thing that even though it's a very low light, that I have the solar bulbs in there? Initially it was bc if they didn't get inside fast enough & the coop got dark, they wldnt go in. Those stay on all the time except when they flit abt and unplug them from solar panels and I don't catch it.Solar xmas lights outside kick off late in the night, and the battery op lights are more for monitoring.
I feel like some light is helpful to give the birds a chance to see and avoid a predator without backing themselves up too bad. I have a light in my guinea coop but not my chicken coops.

Back
Top Bottom