2nd opinion on what breed my chickens are

ABurk98

Hatching
Apr 11, 2024
So a couple of months ago we bought 9 hens and a rooster to start breeding with and sold to us as Barred Rock. The other day I was looking up some other chicks to buy 🫣 and I stumbled upon the Cuckoo Maran. I’m about 70% sure they are a maran, but just wanted another opinion. They lay a dark brown egg some lay with speckles, and a BR is supposed to lay a peachy light brown colored egg. In the incubator they are the dark colored eggs in the middle. (Excuse my poor roosters tail, basically all of them except 2 had their tail feathers bc they were picking on each other at the previous owners house. We had to separate and figure out which ones were doing it.)

Attachments

• IMG_1963.jpeg
    IMG_1963.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1964.jpeg
    IMG_1964.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1974.jpeg
    IMG_1974.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1976.jpeg
    IMG_1976.jpeg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1825.jpeg
    IMG_1825.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0833.jpeg
    IMG_0833.jpeg
    433.2 KB · Views: 14
So a couple of months ago we bought 9 hens and a rooster to start breeding with and sold to us as Barred Rock. The other day I was looking up some other chicks to buy 🫣 and I stumbled upon the Cuckoo Maran. I’m about 70% sure they are a maran, but just wanted another opinion. They lay a dark brown egg some lay with speckles, and a BR is supposed to lay a peachy light brown colored egg. In the incubator they are the dark colored eggs in the middle. (Excuse my poor roosters tail, basically all of them except 2 had their tail feathers bc they were picking on each other at the previous owners house. We had to separate and figure out which ones were doing it.)
The darkest brown eggs in the incubator, sitting by the blue ones? Yes, those do look like Marans eggs to me.

Also, Marans have white feet, while Barred Rocks have yellow feet. The feet of the hens can fade from yellow toward white as they lay eggs (their bodies put the yellow into egg yolks instead of feet), but a Barred Rock rooster should have bright yellow feet, not white ones.

I think you probably do have Cuckoo Marans, not Barred Rocks.

The darkest brown eggs in the incubator, sitting by the blue ones? Yes, those do look like Marans eggs to me.

Also, Marans have white feet, while Barred Rocks have yellow feet. The feet of the hens can fade from yellow toward white as they lay eggs (their bodies put the yellow into egg yolks instead of feet), but a Barred Rock rooster should have bright yellow feet, not white ones.

I think you probably do have Cuckoo Marans, not Barred Rocks.
Thanks that’s what I thought. And yes the eggs that I have next to the blue are theirs!

I think you're right.
Marans have white skin (white shanks)
Barred Rocks would have yellow.
Those dark eggs in incubator definitely look like Marans eggs.
Thanks yeah they all look white. I got them from an old man so obviously someone had told him wrong too.

Back
Top Bottom