Crowing
15 Years
Dec 31, 2007
Berlin Nh
Should I celebrate?
yippiechickie.gif
Or be sad.
hit.gif
I've seen pix of other pips and hatches but never noticed any blood.
idunno.gif
My egg has a small puncture from the inside out. But there is a little drop of blood coming out. Dried up now. What do I do?
hu.gif

Updated with another question.
This is day 18. I know I have to take them out of the turner.
Should I put them in an egg crate from the fridge
or just lay them any old way on the grate.

I don't know what I'm getting since my neighbor pulled them from around his yard. He has barred rock, americauna, guinneas, and turkeys.
Updated to show pics.
FirsthatchDay19March222008.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe he is upside down in the shell and pipped the bottom end? Sometimes that will break a blood vessel, but doesn't have to be fatal.

What to do now? have patients and let him do his thing. Day 18 is early if it's a chicken and it might have a couple of more days to go unless your temp was too high, then it could hatch early.

Just lay them flat, that's what mother hen would do if she was sitting it.
good luck to you.

Lay it flat with the pipped side up? Right!
As for the temp. I have a hovabator 1588 w/turner.
It's supposed to regulate the temp automatically.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

A little blood is no big deal, the membrane has veins running all through it and at hatch time it begins to dry up and be absorbed by the chick.

All but the most expensive large scale incubators are subject to temp. fluctuations depending on room temperature and keeping it constant is one of the more challenging chores for us small scale operators.

On the eggs that haven't yet pipped, what I do is set them on a smooth table and let them roll into the position they want to be in, then gently lift it up and place it back in the bator in that position because that will be the proper position for the bird to finish it's hatch.
It works real good, try it.

Also if you have an egg that doesn't want to "settle" in any particular positiion, chances are it isn't viable and didn't make it or it's too early to have started it's draw down. This condition of settling only happens in the last couple of days as the bird begins draw down.

My last suggestion is.....You're in Florida??? Get some sleep!
big_smile.png
My word, it's after midnight there.
caf.gif

Gonna hang on.
fl.gif

Hubby working a double tonight so he won't get home 'til about 9:30am.
I'm very tempted to placing that bator next to or even on my bed so I can wake up periodically to see the progress.
tongue.png
I am a light sleeper. Probably won't get any sleep tonight.
caf.gif

May as well clean the house.

I don't usually go by days, I go by what the air cell looks like by candeling the top.
If I didn't have a candler though, and I'm doing chickens, I could reasonably expect them to be in draw down by day 19 assuming a correct temp. throughout the process.

Candeling the egg takes all the guesswork out of that though as some eggs come up earlier than others.

I'm not sure I "rolled" them right.
Do I just put them on the table. And that fraction of an inch that it seemed to roll is right? Or do I put it on the table and give a little push? Or do I put it on the table and after it sits still do I wait until the chick moves again and places itself in the right position. (Seems this would take a while and I would need my brooder light on it to keep temp)

Back
Top Bottom