2nd Prolapse (with graphic PHOTOS)

Bees and Birds

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2021
Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for any recommendations and advice. I know there are a bunch of these posts and I apologize for any redundancy but I kinda thought every case is a little different.
We have a 3 yr old Black Jersey Giant who prolapsed about a month ago in early May. I did several of the recommended treatments (epsom salt soak, vetrycin spray, separated her in a dog crate, minimal food and pushed it back in). It stayed in for about a month. I am unsure if she laid eggs in that time or not since I am not with the chickens all day and many have the same egg color.
Just when I started feeling like a pro chicken keeper she proved me wrong and prolapsed again a couple days ago. I did the same treatment I did last time, although once I got it pushed back in and put her in the dog crate she popped it right back out again. She is currently in a large dog crate and my plan was to try a soak again, smother her vent/prolapse area in honey to keep moist and give her some extra calcium. I have attached some rather unpleasant photos because it looks slightly different than last time with a very dark coloration (but soft) and some gelatinous type texture that doesn’t seem to resemble flesh but it all looks connected so it must be. Part of it on the bottom looks like it has torn (the part hanging off in photo) but there is no blood. Her comb is red and she has energy but was keeping herself away from the rest of the girls.
This hen was raised by a less-than-friendly broody so she is not used to being handled which makes this whole ordeal more stressful for her and myself. On top of that we live very busy lives right now with young kids, dogs, bees, jobs and endless chores and I need to be realistic on what we are capable of doing with her right now. Considering all that and the fact that this has happened before we are considering euthanizing her. ☹️ But I know my personality and I will have a hard time committing to that decision without being sure I’ve tried everything I can.
The nearest vet is an hour away and charges a $175 fee just to see the chicken (which my husband is not supportive of spending). So going the vet route is out for us unfortunately.
So I am asking all of your advice regarding any other courses of action we can take or if based on photos and info we should euthanize?
Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post 😬.

Attachments

• 87E80B04-76CF-445F-BBCC-86FAA41F5477.jpeg
    87E80B04-76CF-445F-BBCC-86FAA41F5477.jpeg
    609.3 KB · Views: 12
  • D86FA320-325B-4A44-865F-96EA906D5385.jpeg
    D86FA320-325B-4A44-865F-96EA906D5385.jpeg
    654.7 KB · Views: 11
Hi! I know it's been awhile since you posted, but have you tried hydrocortisone around the vent? That's how we fixed our hen's prolapse.

Back
Top Bottom