2nd season baby chick mama

JenTh

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2024
Indiana
Hello all,

Happy Monday. This is my 2nd yr getting baby chicks to raise inside until they are ready to go outside to the coops. Last years chicks I had zero issues with a mixed flock of buff brahma's, speckled sussex, easter egger, silkies and a satin. This yr we got some more chicks at RK( ISA Browns, Golden Comet and Speckled sussex. They are all doing well. Eating great, drinking, running around and playing just happy little fluffies. I have one little chick that seems to just be not growing. The others are growing like crazy like they should. One little girl is just still small even her little wings are just little shorties. I keep a close eye on her but she's just acting like a normal little baby chick. She does seem a bit more timid than the others but she still hangs out with the others and is normal otherwise. I guess I'm just needing to make sure that she's ok and just gonna be a litte bit maybe. Has anyone else had this happen with them? I did lose a chick our 1st night. No idea what happened. BUT this tiny one was very weak with eyes closed and just not moving a lot the next morning. So I gave her some vitamin water, egg yolk and kept her in my bra for about 3 hours and BOOM she's been great ever since. I don't know if that maybe has something to do with her not growing. She's stinking cute and super sweet. Thanks for any advice on this.

Can you post a picture of her? It sounds like she is a failure to thrive chick. Failure to thrive is where the chick's growth is stunted for any number of reasons. There isn't really a cure for FTT, but offering extra vitamins and probiotics, making sure she's eating and drinking properly, and keeping a close eye on her can help her stay strong.
Oftentimes FTT chicks will die in chickhood, other times they have a growth spurt and grow up to be healthy happy chickens. And sometimes they'll grow up but stay smaller than the rest of their flock mates.

Back
Top Bottom