2nd set of Nesting Boxes in another location, is that wise?

PeppersChicks

Chirping
Jul 29, 2022
I have a predator proof coop and run that my ladies live in. I live on 40 acres and let them free range a few hours a day. They stay pretty close to the coop and the house and come when called. So far no incidents with any predators but Beyond the coop are some woods, not real thick woods but they have gotten brave and will venture out there. My concern hasn't been so much with predators (although it is a concern) but also that they are eating stuff they shouldn't. I have a 30'x40' fenced off section next to the coop with 4'5 high fence that I'm considering making my chicken yard so they can be out and little more supervised. The problem is that if I put them in there with the gate closed they don't have access to the nesting box in the coop. I let them out after most have laid but I have a couple that lay later in the day and when they need to they go to the nesting boxes in the coop. I was considering setting up another set of nesting boxes in the fenced off area for them to use if the gate is closed. Is that a good idea or would that confuse them?

I have a predator proof coop and run that my ladies live in. I live on 40 acres and let them free range a few hours a day. They stay pretty close to the coop and the house and come when called. So far no incidents with any predators but Beyond the coop are some woods, not real thick woods but they have gotten brave and will venture out there. My concern hasn't been so much with predators (although it is a concern) but also that they are eating stuff they shouldn't. I have a 30'x40' fenced off section next to the coop with 4'5 high fence that I'm considering making my chicken yard so they can be out and little more supervised. The problem is that if I put them in there with the gate closed they don't have access to the nesting box in the coop. I let them out after most have laid but I have a couple that lay later in the day and when they need to they go to the nesting boxes in the coop. I was considering setting up another set of nesting boxes in the fenced off area for them to use if the gate is closed. Is that a good idea or would that confuse them?

Welcome to BYC.

If you put your general location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice when climate matters. :)

Does this proposed pen not connect to the coop so you could put a pop door in for them?

Is a chunnel (chicken tunnel), a possibility? https://www.homedesigninspired.com/build-a-diy-chicken-tunnel-in-your-backyard/

Welcome to BYC.

If you put your general location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice when climate matters. :)

Does this proposed pen not connect to the coop so you could put a pop door in for them?

Is a chunnel (chicken tunnel), a possibility? https://www.homedesigninspired.com/build-a-diy-chicken-tunnel-in-your-backyard/
Hi, I am in north Florida. No the fenced in area doesn't connect to the coop. I have an enclosed coop with an enclosed run attached to it. That is where they "live" but they ladies have gotten spoiled to being able to free range during the day. The fenced in area was for our dogs to be able to run around with running off, we have a lab that is notorious for escaping our property. With that said we relocated our dogs to a new area and this fenced in area is now available to use but like I mentioned if I close the gate the chickens can't get to the nesting boxes in the coop. So I thought about setting up nesting boxes within the gated area just incase one of them needed to lay.

Hi, I am in north Florida. No the fenced in area doesn't connect to the coop. I have an enclosed coop with an enclosed run attached to it. That is where they "live" but they ladies have gotten spoiled to being able to free range during the day. The fenced in area was for our dogs to be able to run around with running off, we have a lab that is notorious for escaping our property. With that said we relocated our dogs to a new area and this fenced in area is now available to use but like I mentioned if I close the gate the chickens can't get to the nesting boxes in the coop. So I thought about setting up nesting boxes within the gated area just incase one of them needed to lay.

It might work.

You could make a range shelter for them and put nests in there and see if they use them.

Back
Top Bottom