2nd story balcony

gotaquestion

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 12, 2010
Is it okay to have a coop and run on a second story balcony? The balcony is about 4x14. The run would have wood chips, bark, etc and I'm either going to buy the "eglu go" or build one. The balcony overlooks a some else s large backyard. The balcony has rod iron all around it and I would screen it all it so they could jump/fly off it.

Are you in an apartment with a wrought iron balcony? If so, check with the property managers before getting chickens. It's probably not allowed.

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
ep.gif
I would rethink having chickens. I would definately get written permission from the property owner before you embark on your chicken journey. I would think your lower level neighbor would also need to give you their blessing due to any "runoff" situation that may occur.

I think we need more information as to whether you own this property, and some clarity on the setup. Did you say your balcony is overlooking someone elses' yard?

So far this does not sound like a good idea at all. Chickens can't fly like a regular bird, and even if you screen them in, what kind of life will they have on a concrete balcony? They need to forage and scratch, at least with a run and dirt.

I don't mean to sound harsh, really I don't. I've been waiting for a good setting for chickens my entire adult life! FINALLY, I have my own house and my own yard and feel like now is the time. It's hard to wait, but it's best for their happiness, really.

That is of course unless I am misunderstanding this post.
hmm.png

I've seen someone do a setup with a 2nd story porch/balcony but it was quite large and they even had a door with a long enclosed ramp that went into their yard I guess for the chicens to get down and free range since they didn't have a very large yard.

Its possible and doable.

Post pics so we can get an idea of what your talking about!
smile.png

P.s. Sand on the concrete with a wood or plastic barrier so it won't be thrown off so easily would be best, sand doesnt rot you can scoop it like a cat litter box and much less smell than dirt or wood chips!

thanks for the responses folks. my city allows chickens and I own the apartment building that I live in so it's my rules.
It sounds like sand is the way to go. as far as the chickens happiness goes I just watched Food Inc and saw all those chickens living in terrible conditions and they were still laying eggs which means they still must be somewhat happy because they are laying eggs. So in comparison to my balcony I don't think it's worse. Of course I could be wrong which is why I'm here asking.

Back
Top Bottom