2nd Time...and...I HAVE 11 CHICKS...Watch 'em Hatch!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grillmaster33, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    I am a school teacher (With a vlog on youtube, check it out, same name) and I asked myself what better way to give my6th graders a memorable year than to hatch chicken eggs. Raising chickens, like teaching, is a passion of mine. Only I'm not able to do so for I live in the inner-city (apartment-home pshhht).

So, what fun it will be! We are on our second batch of eggs. The first batch, as you may have read, was not at all successful. We were shipped 6 Golden Campine bantam and 6 Dutch Mille Fleur bantam eggs. Many of which never started to develop, several of which quickly became blood rings, and two of which made it into week three. One chick stopped developing at Day 16. And the other (The Lone Ranger!) pipped the shell but never hatched.

In the meantime, we were shipped a NEW batch! We started with 15 mixed bantam eggs. One was tossed-blood ring.

Two others stopped developing and it looks as if the Araucana bantam egg never began to develop (hard to see through). So we are left with 11 very active embryos. Day 14 is upon us, and we are as excited as ever!

I made this post to keep you all informed of our progress. Keep your fingers crossed and send those positive hatching/pipping/chirping vibes!

Thanks!

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Good luck!

3. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    What I didn't tell....

So...when I found out The Lone Ranger wasnt going to keep crackin' the shell....and after some tough lessons were taught to the children...

I went to get feed, cracked and bought three chicks...
    They're the biggest hit since recess!

Red- Ameraucana
    [​IMG]

AfroPuff - WC Polish
    [​IMG]

PhatCat - Ameraucana
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Today was Day 14 for our eggs A-O.

Egg D was tossed a few days ago.
    Egg A was cracked, embryo was present, but no further development.
    Egg B, THe Araucana bantam egg, still seemed to have to development, but we kept it in the incubator.
    And Egg C, originally thought to be no longer developing, turned out to be alive and kicking.

Tomorrow marks Day 15! I cant believe it's almost time already! (All other eggs are doing very WELL!)

5. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm on day 14 too!

Good luck with your eggs!

And those chicks are the cutest little things. [​IMG]

6. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    I'm on day 14 too.....! Here's hoping we all hatch a bunch of chicks [​IMG]

I candled today and tossed 11 of my 36 eggs...so I am down to 25 (17 are mine, 8 are for a friend).

7. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Day 16!

All eggs are still looking alive and well. Well, there may be one new dud. But, here's to hopin'!

I've decided to leave all but two eggs inside the incubator. I will place two, no, maybe three eggs into my homemade incubator/hatcher.

Again, the Lone Ranger (our sole egg to pip) died after the first pip. I believe the humidity levels were way too high. Either that, or there wasn't enough air circulating.
    I also opened the hatcher/incubator quite a few times. Well, I will set the humidity levels a tad lower, I have created new ventilation holes, and I am sealing the top CLOSED! lol

But quick question...
    Do I stop turning on Day 18 or After Day 18 (On Day 19)?
    Thanks.

8. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    12 eggs remaining on Day 17!

I tried whistling but no rocking-action goin' on like another user stated. Anyhow, I am prettyexcited to hatch these bantam mutts!

Do I stop turning TODAY or TOMORROW!??!??!?!?!?
    THanks.

9. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Hi Grillmaster! [​IMG] I have seen your blog on youtube and love the one about the homemade incubator! You should stop turning them on day 18, which I guess would be tomorrow. Good luck with your hatch! Keep us updated on those fuzzy butts [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Good luck! I'm on day 14 and will candle tonight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by