2nd try.. This time my button quail are hatching... Ya..

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Sunny the Hippie Chick, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I have 2 all the way out.. Their parents are a tuxedo pair.. One baby looks like it will be a tuxedo. The other is pure bright yellow.. Im thinking a white one. But that one isnt very active and the other one is.. I believe this is the first white this pair has produced, according to the owner of the parents.. And one of my eggs from my silver pair is half way out, but having a tough time.. No touching, I know.. It appears it will be a silver too.. If it survives..

How long should I wait before I think the rest of the eggs are duds. I see no more pips.. But these guys seem to pip and zip real fast..

Sorry no pictures yet.. I was starting to take pictures and the darn battery died. Have to recharge it.. But dont worry I will post some..

Ya... I have the hard to get tuxedo button quail.. That is if it feathers out like one.. [​IMG] Now to keep them alive..

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    CONGRATS!!!!

I'd leave the other eggs in there, for atleast 12 hours after the last zip [​IMG]

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I leave mine for 4 days some are poky LOL

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah, I would also say at least 3 days. Mine have always seemed to hatch within a 3 day span, but you never know! It's better to wait and see, than jump the gun and miss out.

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    you two ladies have some weird incubators! LOL! mine must evenly heat better. If they dont hatch out within 12 hours of eachother every other egg left is a dud or has DOAs inside. Unless God just pitties me and knows how impacient i am [​IMG]

6. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    For some reason my hatches seem to take 3 days LOL they like to see me stress
    I always give them 4 days to be sure

7. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I've never had anything else pip and hatch out past 8-12 hours or so. Usually whatever is going to hatch is pipped within 8-12 hours of the first.

8. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    Little creps are never that nice to me darn it

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Mine may sit pipped for awhile but I've never had quail or chickens hatch more than 24hrs after the rest and survive. I start checking eggs by the next day so I can get the hatcher cleaned up for the next batch.

Where did you get the tuxedo buttons?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  10. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    I have never had a problem with them dieing only ever lost one baby and it was three days old not sure where it was in the hatch it was in. I think it has to do with the cool spots in the bator. Buttons tend to hatch on day 16 but can take up to 18 and still be in the standard time if heat drops at all in the incubator the hatch can take longer too. There are a lot of factors out there. I for one would rather be safe then sorry cuz I pitched a live baby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by