2wk chick not walking

Smithnchickens

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2018
Just this morning one of my 2 wk old chicks can't walk, stumbles flaps wings and falls over on bottom. It will eat and drink when I hold it to the water and food. Not sure breed, was told possibly Easter egger or ameracuna. Brought it inside to separate. Eating chick starter/grower non medicated. ACV in water every other day for 8 hrs a day about. Bought chicks Saturday. Some had crusty butt but fixed that and no other birds showing symptoms. I've read they are too young for mareks disease? But still a newbie second round of chicks and first illness so I'll
20180314_101116.jpg
take any and all advice please!

It looks overweight in that picture. How much do you feed them?
There are 20 of them and I never let them run out of food so once a day I fill the chick feeder about half way full. Poop is normal, I've had it separated for about 2 hrs and it's gone two or three times. No bugs. All the other birds look good too. It starts to walk then losses balance and just falls on its butt. Wings come out and flap like normal. Chirps a bit but not near as loud as the others.

It's hard to tell from your photo, but your chicks legs looks quite far apart.

She may have splayed/spraddle leg http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

What brand of starter/grower are you feeding - what is the protein content?

You're doing good with keeping her hydrated and eating - you may also want to provide extra vitamins - look for Poultry Nutri-Drench in your feed store.

How warm is your brooder temperature? At 2 weeks, it should be around 80 degrees with a cooler area to get to.
Since it had pasty butt, it may have suffered some shipping stress initially, and that can still show up later, although she should be near the end of that period. Make sure her vent is open and clear. Check her crop to make sure it is not hard, but soft.

When she stands, are her legs closer together? WR has pointed out that her legs are far apart which can be splay leg, but don’t know if that is just because of her weakness in the picture.

I would dip her beak into her water several times an hour for a second so that she gets hydrated, and give her a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell unless you have electrolytes in your water.

Back
Top Bottom