2x2 construction or 2x4 construction??

chickylou

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Valparaiso
One more questions!
big_smile.png

When framing out the smaller coops, are they 2x2 construction or 2x4 construction?

It's hard to tell on some of the pictures. I know 2x4 might be more durable, but is it necessary, especially in a sheltered environment?

I'd really like some input because as a woman leading her children to work on much of the project, I'd like to work with the smaller stuff. Any thought?

Thanks Again!

2x2? Where do you get those? They are way too small.

If it's a small coup and you need to stick to a budget than you can use 2x3s. Home Depot has them for around $1.75 each. Personally I won't
use anything smaller than 2x4s/ You can get them for around $2.25 each.

Most premade sheds from Home Depot are 2x3 construction. They try and
save every penny.

Quote:
I don't think you save money using 2x2s. They are a more specialized size of lumber. You can get green 2x4s really cheap at HD. And if you have the time, you can search craigslist for free 2x4s that someone is trying to rehome. I built most of my coop with reclaimed lumber from CL. (I also pulled a lot of nails!)

I built many things with my boys when they were quite young. Youngsters can handle 2x4s. Good luck!

Are we talking walk-in coop, or reach-in coop/tractor?

I would not even CONSIDER using 2x2s for a walk-in size coop, and would avoid 2x3s for most parts of 'em as well.

But for a small reach-in coop, no more than 4' wide and no more than 2-3' tall, I would certainly be open to using 2x2s for some parts if I had them around already.

(2x2s of DECENT quality are more expensive than 2x4s, though, and the crappy ones are not worth using; the only way they can be cheaper than 2x4s is if you have a saw with a ripping fence and can *make* 2x2s out of 2x4s)

HOWEVER, it is actually *harder* to work with 2x2s than 2x4s... I think 2x4s would be much much mroe appropriate when kids are involved. Reasons being, a) 2x2s require you to be much more accurate in your nailing/screwing, and b) they are more apt to split and thus require a bit more finesse and care.

Really their main value is when you're trying to minimize weight for a tractor. Anything else, especially if kids are involved, I really think you're best of (and cheapest off) with 2x4s.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
Great points Pat. I have built my tractors out of 1x3 pine stock. It's light
but no cheaper than 2x4's.

Sometimes I'll by 3/4" ply and rip it into strips. This is not an east thing
to do.

You can check out all of my coops on my BYC page. We used 2x2 (2x4's ripped in half on table saw) on all of them. They are all very strong and the ones that are movable are much easier to do so. 2x4 is absolute overkill unless you're constructing one to be similar to a small home
big_smile.png

Another thing: Once you ad the exterior siding, that will ad even more strength to your coop.

These are our coops. You can view step by step pics on my BYC page.

100_1448.jpg

100_1613.jpg

We actually used 1x2's and 1x3's to make this one
100_1052.jpg

100_0931.jpg

This is our newest one and my favorite. It is solid as a rock.
100_2987.jpg

edited to say: I agree that you should pre-drill any screw holes when driving with the grain because it's easier to split. We've never had problems when driving screws against the grain.

And Steve, if that's your coop in your avatar then I just have to say, I hate you
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
You can get 2x2's at any lumber yard (least you can here) I use them for batter boards when laying out a house, garage or barn they come packaged in bundles.

Back
Top Bottom