2x2 inch square net over chicken run

Knobbe10

Chirping
Jul 19, 2019
Lake city iowa
I was curious if my net choice was to large 2 x 2 inch square. Just found my bwc poll rooster dead. Neck appears to be broke and rub lines. I have seen him fly in to it before but never got stuck. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have a net over the top of my run too. To keep preditors out and my chickens inside the run. Two types of net over two different compartments of the run. The first is a bird of prey net 4 x 4 cm (a bit smaller) and the second compartment has a cat net 3 x 3 cm. The nets are both strong and tightly stretched over the frame.

My chickens are probably smaller then yours. Mainly Dutch bantams. I had roosters too.

They have a lot of space and shelter in the run. There is bench, a couple of berries bushes and a laurel. So they hide and do not panic when a preditor shows up. Never had a problem in 4 years.

I have a net over the top of my run too. To keep preditors out and my chickens inside the run. Two types of net over two different compartments of the run. The first is a bird of prey net 4 x 4 cm (a bit smaller) and the second compartment has a cat net 3 x 3 cm. The nets are both strong and tightly stretched over the frame.

My chickens are probably smaller then yours. Mainly Dutch bantams. I had roosters too.

They have a lot of space and shelter in the run. There is bench, a couple of berries bushes and a laurel. So they hide and do not panic when a preditor shows up. Never had a problem in 4 years.
Thank you. Must of just been bad luck. Iv got wyandottes polls and RIR and a Dominique rooster now. Shed is 15 by 20 and the run is roughly 20 by 30. Do you think I need a bigger run for 26 chickens?

20 by 30 feet I suppose. Here we count in meters. ;) .
My run is only 15 m2 in total (10 x 17 feet) . But my 8 chickens are tiny and they free range almost every day. So I can't compare this with my situation.

There is a way to count if the run is big enough for healthy and happy chickens. 20 by 30 feet = 6 x 9 meters is 45 m2.
These are the numbers in a Dutch forum:
For the middle class: Animals from 750 gr to 1500 gr
Minimal: For the first animal 4m², for the second animal 3m² and for each additional animal 2m²
Desirable: 6m² for the first animal, 4m² for the second animal and 3m² for each additional animal
Optimal: 10m² for the first animal, 7m² for the second animal and 5m² for each additional animal
With chickens under 1,5 kg and Desirable space this means you can keep 11 chickens in your run.
With google translate you can read the other information https://www.kippenforum.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23554

There is a study from Wageningen university where the conclusion is something like this: "chickens are less stressed if they can range under trees and bushes and can easily flee to hiding places".

Last edited:
20 by 30 feet I suppose. Here we count in meters. ;) .
My run is only 15 m2 in total (10 x 17 feet) . But my 8 chickens are tiny and they free range every day. So I can't compare this with my situation.

There is a way to count if the run is big enough for healthy and happy chickens. 20 by 30 feet = 6 x 9 meters is 45 m2.
These are the numbers in a Dutch forum:
For the middle class: Animals from 750 gr to 1500 gr
Minimal: For the first animal 4m², for the second animal 3m² and for each additional animal 2m²
Desirable: 6m² for the first animal, 4m² for the second animal and 3m² for each additional animal
Optimal: 10m² for the first animal, 7m² for the second animal and 5m² for each additional animal
With chickens under 1,5 kg and Desirable space this means you can keep 11 chickens in your run.
With google translate you can read the other information https://www.kippenforum.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23554

There is a study from Wageningen university where the conclusion is something like this: "chickens are less stressed if they can range under trees and bushes and can easily flee to hiding places".
Thank you. I will try free range option so they have adequate room.

I suppose it's possible that a chicken could fly up and get tangled in the netting and hurt itself, though that seems like a pretty freak thing to have happen.

I also have 2" square netting but have only seen a hen fly up into it once. I chose the 2" over 1" as it's more likely that snow falls through 2" versus 1".

I was curious if my net choice was to large 2 x 2 inch square. Just found my bwc poll rooster dead. Neck appears to be broke and rub lines. I have seen him fly in to it before but never got stuck. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Where was his body found?
Near the run wall(what is that material made of?) or in the middle?

Back
Top Bottom