2x4 for roosts?

I choose 2 to 3" round tree's for my roost poles
Birds in general have a natural tendency for their feet to lock and grip a branch when they roost. I have a mixture of roost and 10 of my birds choose the flat 2x4 two prefer the round branches and one sleeps in the nest box.

Why the majority choose the flat 2x4 has always left me puzzled.

I choose 2 to 3" round tree's for my roost poles
Birds in general have a natural tendency for there feet to lock and grip a branch when they roost. I have a mixture of roost and 10 of my birds choose the flat 2x4 two prefer the round branches and one sleeps in the nest box.

Birds in general have a natural tendency for there feet to lock and grip a branch when they roost. I have a mixture of roost and 10 of my birds choose the flat 2x4 two prefer the round branches and one sleeps in the nest box.

That might be true---but "I" would finish the test by switching the 2x4 with the branches and see if the chickens go to the 2x4 or roost on the branches-----you know----eliminating the Location??

I've done that. I used tree branches, 2x4's flat, and 2x4's on edge. I swapped them around several times to see if I saw any preference as to shape. I did not. My tree branches are crooked so some parts are higher than others, they like the extra height. The area near the window was a favorite spot, the back corner against the far wall was the least favorite, that's where the ones at the bottom of the pecking order go. I encourage others to try it, taking into consideration they don't like change (give them some time) and trying to keep height issues out of it.

That's why I say the chickens don't care about this nearly as much as people do. But people obviously do care, a lot.

Interesting thread, I'm in the process of building so am not close to installing roosts and no opinion on which is better. Food for thought.
LOL, I got nice tree roost--about 2 to 2 1/2" thick---looks like it fits their feet good---LOL----some roost on 1/2" pallet boards turned up instead of the round roost---their choice. I got one coop that will roost about 150 birds and use treated 2x2"s and they have no problem on them But the 1 3/8"(thickness of the 2x2) it turned flat ---not a corner turned up. So My Conclusion is put what ever makes "YOU" happy because the chickens don't care as long as they got food and water in the early morning when they get up.

Funny, that this is so controversial of a subject. My 7.5 oz parrot likes fat round roosts but he also often sleeps on his thinner swing at the top of his cage. He has several sizes and the others he uses for climbing around and playing with his hanging toys but doesn't sleep on them. I may try two types and see what my little girls like then also make one for out in the run.

Birds in general have a natural tendency for their feet to lock and grip a branch when they roost. I have a mixture of roost and 10 of my birds choose the flat 2x4 two prefer the round branches and one sleeps in the nest box.

This is a people/chicken opinion below. :lau

Many people live in a cold climate, and round wood makes the chicken toes curl around the bar. That means that their feathers are not covering the toes, which means there is a possibility of them getting frost bite.
Many people probably like 2x4s because it seems like the chickens would have more balance.
I have seen chickens balance on very small things, so if you are in a place that is not too cold, anything would probably be fine.
Although...
Chicks don't have very good balance, so I think something flat would be better for chicks.

I've had chickens off and on since 1965. My grandfather always used 2x4s on the flat for roosts, so that's what I always did. We've always had big heritage breeds, and even though they're birds, they're not 'perching' birds like little songbirds. The boards on the flat allow them to walk up and down the roost without having to do a tightrope balancing routine, so I imagine the wide roost is more comfortable. Also, I lived the first 48 years of my life up north and in the winter, the wide roosts let the chickens cover their feet when they roost, which I imagine is warmer than letting their toes hang out. Is it? I dunno. You'd have to ask the chickens.

The bottom line is, they'll roost on whatever you give them to roost on. I have my reasons for why I like 2x4s on the flat, but that doesn't mean I think they're superior to other roosts. Chickens want to roost and they want to roost up high. That's all they care about. Honestly, people stress about the shape of the roosts when what they should be stressing about is making sure the coop is dry, draft-free and has LOTS of ventilation. That's much more important than the shape of the roosts.

When my chickens squat down on my 2x4's narrow end up or my tree branches and fluff their feather a bit their feet disappear. Their toes don't hang out. Centrarchid had some good pictures that show that. I know I don't live where it gets really cold, a few degrees below zero Fahrenheit at most, which might make a difference in my opinion, but I've never had frostbite issues.

I personally don't see any difference, use what you wish. They all work. and I absolutely agree, dry, draft-free and good ventilation are much more important.

Back
Top Bottom