3 1/2 month chicken walking around with mouth open

Thank you for the recommendations. I know it's a joke to call what we've been having a "heatwave." But it's pretty dern hot for us.
lol.png

I have been giving my girls some watermelon, misted them and their run... mostly their run to keep it damp, and wet the grass in the yard. I noticed when their feet are wet they seem cooler.

I agree about the black feathers making them hotter. I haven't seen my buff pant at all. I'm a first time chicken owner so I tend to freak out about every little thing. I suppose it's like parenting your first child. I'm getting better though.

Quote:
I live in Beaverton and my girls are doing the same, panting from the heat and humidity weve been having.
I use a pan of cool water and also they really seem to enjoy Big ice cubes in their water container, they will drink the ice water before they drink warm water and they drink a lot of it at a time.
I give them watermelon but am worried to much and they will get the chicken runns
big_smile.png

I give them a variety of frozen treats to. Mine LOVE frozen peas or mixed veggies and frozen grapes cut up.

Also tho they have shade from trees for most of the day except early morning, I still let mine out of their run to free range in the afternoon and I wet down an area of grass under a bush for them. They love to eat the wet grass and lay in it to. If this is a possibility for you.

Last edited:
2hot2chicken, thank you for writing. I will have to try the cool pan of water in their run. I let my girls out in the evenings, too. That's when I'm out there watering the garden. They tend to stay away from the stream of water, but I notice they love going back to the wet patches when I'm done. With how dry everything is now, I'm sure they love the jucier weed and grass.

I'll have to try the frozen fruits and veggies. They're only about 4 months old so they're still trying to decide what they do and don't like. The watermelon wasn't a big hit with them, but it sure is with me! lol!

I forgot today I did a frozen Banana...... I have given them bananas beofre so they knew what it was and it was pretty funny when i dropped it.
They all rushed at it and then pecked once and backed off because it was hard! They watched it for a while to try to figure out what it was!
Circled around it for a while then found where I had cut it in half (no skin in the center) and started pecking away slow at first then picking up as it thawed. I think it took 7 chickens about 15 minutes to eat 2 bananas that started out frozen solid and the first 13-14 minutes were spent eyeballing it!
lau.gif

I have also done chilled steemed carrots. I cook a few extra when I steem em for dinner and put them in the fridge. the next morning I chop em up a bit and throw em out in the run before I let the girls out and they go crazy for those to.
I have also bought them a head of lettuce and given them that cold to pick at........

Actually reading what Ive told you I think my chickens are very spoiled. They get so many fresh fruits and veggies it a wonder they even want to eat their food at all or have the room for it
big_smile.png
But then again they are pigs and always begging for more.......

I have 3 BR and 1 silkie that are 6 months old, 3 EE that are 5 months old, 1 silkie that is 1.5 years old and 7 chicks that are 4 weeks old (5 silkie/2 brahma) and they each like something a little different then the other. You will figure out what they like just keep experimenting...... with fresh fruits and veggies how can you wrong?

Basicly any fresh cold or frozen fruit or veggies are good to cool em down. Mine quit panting for a quite while after a cool treat. Even on the couple days we have had that have hit 90.

Next Im thinking about buying a couple of jars of baby food and
pouring it into an ice tray and freezing that for them to peck at when it is hot........
Spoiled......
lau.gif

We are going thru some really hot weather rite now....supposed to be 105 today and up to 109 tomorrow....I have a mister going in their run....a fan going in their ventilated coop....I have been taking cold cut up apples and I am about to take them an ice cold watermelon....spoiled girls, but I love them and hate to see them so hot....Besides...my hubby wont let me bring them in the house...what a meanie butt
barnie.gif

I'm in Florida and its miserable right now. Temps are are around 100 degree and with the heat index and humidity it feels like 110. My girls walk around constantly with their mouths open and wings a little away from their body. Their is really nothing we can do for them but make sure they have real shade not artificial shade its not the same and lots of water. I let my girls out early in the morning because it is just to hot to be all cooped up. After all they are chickens and they have learned to adapt to the climate they live in. Now my poor puppies on the other hand I truly feel sorry for.

Back
Top Bottom