1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

3 1/2 month chicken walking around with mouth open

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by srfjeld, Aug 24, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chirping

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I have a 3 1/2 month old black cochin who has taken to walking around with her beak parted open on occasion. I immediately thought gape-worm and checked her throat a couple days ago but I couldn't see anything.

Is this a normal behavior? Should I be concerned?

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. Does this happen even when its cooler out ?

3. acarter26

acarter26 In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Baldwinsville
    She may be hot. They'll open they're mouths and pant to cool off.

4. cat1994

cat1994 Songster

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    It could just be b/c he is hot my girls do this to cool down, was it like he was panting kind of like a dog does but without the tough hanging out of course

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  5. srfjeld

srfjeld Chirping

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I think you guys have hit the nail on the head! I'm in Portland, Oregon and we rarely get too hot but we've actually had a few days of high 80s and actually have had some humidity the last couple of days. My cochin is my most feathered girl, but I just noticed my 4/mo old SLW is also panting a bit and is holding her wings a bit away from her body. So, I guess my next question is, how do you cool them down? I misted inside their run a bit today, which they hated... I mostly did it b/c it seemed like a dust bowl. Doesn't water just wick off their feathers? I'm not too too worried b/c this heatwave won't last long. I just spoil my girls and hate seeing any sign of discomfort. [​IMG]

6. lynniev45

lynniev45 In the Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    I put in a pan of water for them to get into. They cool off that way.

7. Auscal

Auscal Songster

Oct 29, 2010
    "how to cool them down"

Make sure they have plenty of shade - "tree shade" is cooler than artifical shade. I have found that wetting down the dirt in the run fairly thoroughly seems to help - my girls seem to enjoy tucking down in the damp dirt.

8. PartridgeRooster

PartridgeRooster Songster

Oct 11, 2010
    Quote:I'm sorry for that terrible heat wave, lol. Your chickens will be fine. Mine survived through constant 100 degree days for a week with 70 percent humidity. I use water pans and wetting the dirt, along with shade and ventilation.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Songster

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    High in the 80's I wish its been triple digits forever here. But seems your chickens aren't use to much heat so their probably just panting to cool down.

10. LoreenH

LoreenH Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:Our summer has been pretty mild this year, hasn't it. My girls have been panting and walking around with their wings out too. Last night I ran the sprinkler in the area of the yard where they hang out during the day so the ground will be damp and maybe a bit cooler for them. They are locked in the coop at night but have the run of the whole backyard during the day.

I just noticed you said the one doing it the most is black, 5 of my 6 are dark in color and they pant way more than my golden EE. I'm sure it's partly because of color. When my black & white cat lays in the sun the black part of his coat gets hot but the white part stays cool.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by