3 1/2 Year-Old Light Brahma Suddenly Stumbling While Walking

It's very strange. Except for stumbling when she walks, she is alert, eating, drinking, pooping normally. Her comb is bright red and eyes clear. How one morning she could wake up not being able to stay up on her feet seems so odd. The vet checked her over thoroughly - no sign of injuries from the other hens and heart and lungs are strong, she said. We're giving her the anti-inflammatory medicine she prescribed twice daily as well.
Hopefully she'll improve with the vitamin therapy.
Often it's hard to know what causes sudden symptoms like that unless you lose them and investigate further through necropsy at your state lab.

Keep us posted on how she's getting along.

Hopefully she'll improve with the vitamin therapy.
Often it's hard to know what causes sudden symptoms like that unless you lose them and investigate further through necropsy at your state lab.

Keep us posted on how she's getting along.
So, I'm giving an update on my Light Brahma hen who is still separated from our flock, but we take her out each day to see the others, keeping them separated with a mesh fence. The vet we took her to a couple of weeks ago (not an avian expert) prescribed anti-inflammatory medicine Meloxicam twice per day for 5 days. It doesn't seem to have helped her. We did not renew that prescription. We are giving her the 400 IUs of Vitamin E daily over blueberries - one of her favorite foods - plus half a human capsule of Vitamin B Complex crushed over food throughout the day. She still has weakness in the right leg and stumbles when she walks and can't preen herself - if she reaches back to her uropygial gland to preen she falls forward. She also has dark green diarrhea. She has always - from her time as a young chick - been a voracious drinker of water, eater of vegetables and fruits, and forager of worms. Even now, when she is outside, in the cold ground, she will find 3 or 4 fat worms and slurp them up. I'm giving her extra "chicken meat loaf" and tuna for more protein since she eats a lot of fruits, vegetables, and grass. Her comb and wattle is bright red, she is alert with normal vision, and she is clearly not paralyzed. She curls her toes over a roost bar and, when we have to scoop her up to go back to her private pen, she suddenly will sprint 8-10 feet to escape being caught! How she is able to do that is a puzzle to us! So, she is not failing in many ways. It's so hard to figure out what is wrong and how to treat her. We're continuing with the vitamin therapy.

Thanks for this thread. I have Hen that I discovered today has very poor balance as well. She too is eating and drinking and alert. I’ll pick up some rooster booster tomorrow and see if it helps

Back
Top Bottom