3-4 week old Leghorn pullets or cockerels? Any guesses?

I know it's way early to know for sure, but anyone care to make a guess as to which one of these Leghorn chicks are pullets or cockerels? They are from the same hatch between 3-4 weeks old. Pics from today.View attachment 2676290View attachment 2676291View attachment 2676292
I’ve found it hard to predict leghorns. I’d guess mostly boys based off the one with the smaller comb but it’s really hard to tell. I’ve not been very good at figuring out leghorns till older. I had one really late bloomer rooster that was a big surprise.

I’ve found it hard to predict leghorns. I’d guess mostly boys based off the one with the smaller comb but it’s really hard to tell. I’ve not been very good at figuring out leghorns till older. I had one really late bloomer rooster that was a big surprise.
Pretty sure all but the one is a Cockerel at this point. She is very dainty and still has a tiny yellow comb. The other five are quite solid feeling birds with well formed bright red combs and wattles now. And all 5 have started crowing. Usually one or two of the boys follows the pullet around the yard. Tonight I got home from work and went out to see how the hubby was doing. Of course the flock had wandered into the neighbors brush patch. I called them all back to our yard. It sure is a delight to see your flock coming running at the sound of your call when you've been away all day. Well, Henrietta was the last of the ladies to come back. Three of her bodyguards stayed with her and started crowing til she finally slowly got back across to our yard. It was so cute.

Last edited:
Woah five cockerels and two pullets, probably will want to get rid of the roosters, if you get a fertilized egg from one of those hens but the rooster is from the same family they have a lot more of a chance of being deformed.
but they sure are beautiful chicks.
I have no idea about the origins of these leghorns other than they were hatched in a classroom project. Don't know if the eggs were ordered from a hatchery or they came from someone local. I suppose I could probably find out. If they came from a hatchery, I assume there is a lesser chance they are related? Regardless, definitely can't keep them all. But glad I can have a few to pick from. Unless we end up with a Wyandotte or Brahma rooster from the last 10 chicks we purchased, would like to keep 2 of the leghorn cockerels.

I have no idea about the origins of these leghorns other than they were hatched in a classroom project. Don't know if the eggs were ordered from a hatchery or they came from someone local. I suppose I could probably find out. If they came from a hatchery, I assume there is a lesser chance they are related? Regardless, definitely can't keep them all. But glad I can have a few to pick from. Unless we end up with a Wyandotte or Brahma rooster from the last 10 chicks we purchased, would like to keep 2 of the leghorn cockerels.
That’s a good idea, I got lucky with my chicks, I got five from a garden store and found out they’re all sexed as pullets a few months later and then got four that my friend didn’t want, two were rehab, and got four pullets and only one cockerel then I already have a hen. So nine pullets and one cockerel.

Pretty sure all but the one is a Cockerel at this point. She is very dainty and still has a tiny yellow comb. The other five are quite solid feeling birds with well formed bright red combs and wattles now. And all 5 have started crowing. Usually one or two of the boys follows the pullet around the yard. Tonight I got home from work and went out to see how the hubby was doing. Of course the flock had wandered into the neighbors brush patch. I called them all back to our yard. It sure is a delight to see your flock coming running at the sound of your call when you've been away all day. Well, Henrietta was the last of the ladies to come back. Three of her bodyguards stayed with her and started crowing til she finally slowly got back across to our yard. It was so cute.
That is adorable. However, once they grow a little more, they will develop a very strong urge to breed any female in sight...and there’s only one female...

Back
Top Bottom