3.5 week old barred rock with runny poop

Nikidust

Chirping
Sep 28, 2021
I have 5 chickens I got at a day old, 3.5 weeks ago. They are all together in a play pen in my living room with pine shavings and a heat lamp. We recently started taking them out to a chicken tractor when the weather is warm enough. All the birds are acting fine but my barred rock is having runny poops. It's been going on since yesterday. Not bad smelling, looks like regular poop color but wetter and not holding shape. We also recently ran out of the first bag of chick starter and stated using a different feed. They were on manna pro medicated crumbles and are now on a feed store blend, which they said was medicated but I have no other info on the content.

I put some chick saver electrolytes and probiotics in the waterer a couple hours ago. I have corid liquid on hand but don't know if I should use it since the feed is medicated. I do have some non medicated chick starter, as well but haven't used it yet.

What should I do? I can run to tractor supply tonight if I hurry.

Should I give the corid? Can I mix that with the chick saver or should I dump that and just do corid by itself? Should I get antibiotics? Please help. Tsc closes in about 2 hours.

Thank you

OH BTW I'm in the Kansas City area in case that matters.

Attachments

• 20211020_184122.jpg
    20211020_184122.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 11
What is the temp under the heat lamp with a thermometer on the floor? Sometimes too much eat leads to drinking a lot, and thus runny poops. At 3.5 weeks, 75 degrees should be in the warmest area, but they can tolerate cooler temps, so make sure that they have a cooler sport to get to. I can’t see if there is any blood or intestinal shedding in the dropping. Corid is safe, but it should not be mixed with anything. Vitamin B should not be given with Corid. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder for each gallon of water for 5-7 days.

We have the temp at 80 under the lamp. (started at 95 and dropped 5 degrees every week) Thanks for the info, I hadn't thought of that. She's one of the larger chicks of the bunch so maybe she's getting overheated. I'll try dropping it 5 degrees. I don't know what intestinal shedding looks like, but I don't see any blood. It really does look like a normal poop but the solids are just wetter. I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow if she's still having loose stools. I have the chick saver in the waterer right now and a bowl of plain water as well. I went and bought another bag of the feed that were on before and switched it out for them in case the change in food is what is getting to her. If she's still having symptoms tomorrow ill start corid for the flock.
Thank you so much for your insight and advice. I truly appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

What is the temp under the heat lamp with a thermometer on the floor? Sometimes too much eat leads to drinking a lot, and thus runny poops. At 3.5 weeks, 75 degrees should be in the warmest area, but they can tolerate cooler temps, so make sure that they have a cooler sport to get to. I can’t see if there is any blood or intestinal shedding in the dropping. Corid is safe, but it should not be mixed with anything. Vitamin B should not be given with Corid. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder for each gallon of water for 5-7 days.
Though you're not supposed to use corid and medicated feed... should be one or the other...

Update: my sweet Charlotte seems to be all better. I came down this morning and witness a nice, normal, solid poop fall from her behind. She's looking good, acting normal. What I did was the Save-a-Chick electrolytes and probiotics in the main waterer, gave her a dropper full of colloidal silver right into her mouth, and I switched them back to the medicated manna pro feed they had been on. Temp under the lamp is right around 80 degrees. Dunno what was wrong but she seems better! She's our friendliest chick, so I'd be super sad to lose her. Thank you so much for the help!

Attachments

• 20211021_083952.jpg
    20211021_083952.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom