3 already dead another sick...Don't know what to do. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Teresaann24, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    iv lost 3 chickens already, They show no signs of sickness fine one day dead the next. I have lost 2 hens and a roo. No signs of anything. Today I noticed one of my hens just sitting in her run I went in and picked her up and put her on her feet and she fell back down. Its like she has no controll of her legs. I gave her some water with some sulmet and she drank well and even ate. Has a nice full crop. Clear alert eyes she just cannot stand up. I just lost one of my roosters yesterday and I dont know what to do all my chickens have been wormed. They did however while free ranging drink some rain water in a bucket that had been there for weeks.? idk what to do im losing my chickens and have no way to know whats going on. not even weird poo's can somone help me?

2. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    sounds like it could be coccidosis? Have you spoken with a vet? They may want to get a poo sample to do a fecal float...

Someone here will have great insight for you.

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Small town...No vet around open [​IMG]

I also thought it sounded like Cocci.

I gave her some sulmet...

4. dawnki

dawnki New Egg

Nov 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

marek's disease also comes to mind. any excessive drinking of water? does her crop feel full of food?

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Yes her crop does feel full of food and not an unnormal drinking of water no. Just normal...?

Also wanted to add: She is sitting all puffed up with her wings droopy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  6. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    how's your chickie doing?

I just noticed we live in the same town. I'd like to see some of your birds, I've been saying I want to incubate some eggs and that I'd like some silkies [​IMG]

Hopefully you're get your birdies feeling better and maybe we can talk some eggs later on when I'm ready to incubate [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by