3 Australorps, I think 1 is a roo?

Blessedmamaof3

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
Pomona, KS (eastern ks)
I have 10, 3 week old chicks of multiple breeds. 3 of the chicks are Black Australorps. All the chicks were sold as pullets but 1 Australorp ( Sweetie) has a much larger comb than the other chicks of both the same and different breeds. It also has fleshy skin under the chin that the others do not have. Is it too early to assume it is a male? I took up close pics of the 3 Australorps to compare. Also, if it is a roo should I do anything different with him? Does this breed have aggressive roos? This is our first flock and we want our chickens to be more like pets and they will get lots of attention. They are handled daily. Top is chirpy, bottom is fluffy, and on the right is sweetie.
Thank you
20210421_213017.jpg

I have 10, 3 week old chicks of multiple breeds. 3 of the chicks are Black Australorps. All the chicks were sold as pullets but 1 Australorp ( Sweetie) has a much larger comb than the other chicks of both the same and different breeds. It also has fleshy skin under the chin that the others do not have. Is it too early to assume it is a male? I took up close pics of the 3 Australorps to compare. Also, if it is a roo should I do anything different with him? Does this breed have aggressive roos? This is our first flock and we want our chickens to be more like pets and they will get lots of attention. They are handled daily. Top is chirpy, bottom is fluffy, and on the right is sweetie.
Thank you
View attachment 2629373
Lovelies!!!
I love your names. I can see why you think Sweetie could be a roo, but I think it’s too early to tell.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom