3 broodys, can I switch their eggs?

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
First timer here, hatching eggs under 3 Australorp broody hens. Two started setting on Apr 20 (5-6 eggs each), and the third about 3-4 days later (5 eggs). I'm sure some of our other hens have been in their nest boxes and laid several more. I'm trying not to bother them more than necessary! The first two times I marked eggs, it rubbed off. And more eggs showed up. I didn't know which were which, so I just left them all. Each broody has 12-13 each at last count. Anyway, hatch day could be as early as May 10 to start. I've candled the eggs as best I can, and most are active but at various stages of development. Brown eggs, and I can't make out blood vessels or rings and barely find the air sacs. I'm wondering...… as hatch day approaches and it's easier to see which eggs are completely dark/filled or have pipped already, and which ones still have a ways to go ….. can I sort the eggs under the hens? Like put the most developed under Broody #1 and #2, and the least developed under Broody #3? (When hubby helped me candle them, he got them mixed up already and they didn't seem to care.)

BTW, two phenomenon I noticed when candling - wish I had got pics and video: One egg appeared to have two separate embryos, both active! And while candling the eggs, I traced my finger across & around the outside of the shell - and several of the embryos appeared to follow the movements of my finger!!! So friggin' COOL to watch!

I would say just watch and see what happens with the ones who have been sitting since the 20th, and that is normal for Brown chicken eggs this far along. For the one that just started sitting mark all the eggs with sharpie at the tip near the air sac. I wouldn't mix the eggs up to much and moving less developed eggs under a hen that just started sitting isn't a very good idea. If they are only a few days apart then they will all hatch around the same time and it will be fine, but if thy are in totally different weeks then I would remove the less developed and incubate them, or just see what happens

Back
Top Bottom