3 broodys fighting over 1 nest! UPDATE CHICK PIC!!!!

suenrob

Crowing
16 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
Got my first broody hen on Sat. (Layla) She has more eggs in the nest than she could have layed herself, so I figure she is letting others lay in the same nest. Well, now another hen (Harriette) seems to have taken over the nest!! Layla is just sitting there waiting for her to leave I guess. Then along comes Henny Penny, who stands there and growls at Harriette, trying to get her to leave. Harriette won't leave, so Henny just jumps on top of her and lays an egg!!!!!!! This has been very entertaining and educational to watch!!!!!
Broodyhen006.jpg

Edited to add: Just checked, there are 9 eggs in the nest!!!!! Very exciting!!!

Layla's first baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
laylaschick004.jpg

Last edited:
they must love the hot pink color LOL

I have a broody girl who has taken over the favorite spot in our coop and is driving all the other hens crazy - so they will stand over her and lay the egg - which ends up under the broody girl !! so I have to go out there with a pair of gloves and remove all the eggs that dont have an X on them so I know which ones are hers to keep LOL

good luck with the eggs hopefully they get it all worked out and you get lots of babies

Julie

If you dont seperate the broody hen, the others will continue to lay in her nest, causing staggard hatches which is hard on mommma, as she has to take care of the newly hatched chicks, but set on eggs as well.

Quote:
Because they have favorites, just like children.. LOL.. The broody must have taken over the flock's favorite nest and the other gals are too stubborn to go lay in another nest.

Try putting 2-3 golfballs in the other nests, to make them think the flock's favorite has been moved.

You could also separate your broody, it has to be stressful trying to sit their and play momma with all the other girls clammering over you in order to lay their eggs. By separating her, she'll feel more cozy(won't have others standing on her..LOL) and all the eggs will develop at the same rate, it will also make the flock find a new favorite spot.

-Kim

How about if I put a large dog crate in the coop, and move her nest in there??? That way she won't be totally alone, but the others won't bother her. What do you think?

Ps. How do I go about moving the nest without getting pecked??? She's not very happy when I come near!!!!!!!!
I was thinking maybe put something like a pillow case or towel over her head, will that work????

Yup, the dog crate will work great, just make sure she has food and water available. I would just drape a pillowcase/towel over her and pick the whole basket up and move it, once inside the dog kennel, just pull the pillow case/towel off.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom