3 Chickens...GONE....POOF

Pics

arouech

Chirping
Apr 3, 2017
Canton, Ohio
So I just put my girls out in their new run and leave them out all day and then bring them in at night. I had issues getting them in so I've been leaving them out all night (with shelter to sleep in until our coop is done). I check on them every morning before I leave for work and as soon as I get home. Yesterday, I got home from work and saw some feathers on the ground as I walked up. Then I noticed more and more. All the girls came out to greet me, and as I counted, I found that 3 were gone. There was MAYBE a large handful of feathers in one area and very VERY little blood. I had to really search to find the blood. The run is pretty secure and I have no idea how something got in AND out with 3, 7-8 week old chickens.

I'm mad and sad all at the same time after spending so much time and energy on them for 3 to just disappear. I mean there is NO sign of them or which way it would have taken them. I want to say it was a cat that got them, but I'm not certain. Anyone have this happen before?? Just seems so strange because it was just some feathers laying around and no sign of a lot of blood.

Needless to say, I've brought the girls in for now until I find the source of my issue and will "take care" of it.

So sorry this happened to you, but this is very common.
Anything could have got them, not just a cat.
Can you post a picture of your set up...we might be able to tell you how to "fix" it so nothing else gets in.

So sorry this happened to you, but this is very common.
Anything could have got them, not just a cat.
Can you post a picture of your set up...we might be able to tell you how to "fix" it so nothing else gets in.

I'm pretty sure I know how it may have gotten in (which is that red 'X' area...I didnt keep it tied down b/c its my only way in and out), and since then fixed it, I'm just not sure how it would have gotten out the same way with 3 chickens. I mean there was no mess or anything except for the small area of feathers (red circle is where the feathers were). This photo was taken before it happened. I made sure that the tarp is completely tired down around the run tight enough where nothing could climb up and in other than the opening...

Attachments

• Inked18575696_10154600191160840_1927142503_o_LI.jpg
    Inked18575696_10154600191160840_1927142503_o_LI.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
your fencing will not keep critters out either.
holes are too big.
you would not believe what could get in and out that size.
You may want to looking to welded wire...1/2 inch..nothing bigger then 1 inch.

I'm not sure how an animal that was big enough to take 3 chicks could have gotten "through" the fence even if the wire is 2x4". I would also assume that something may have gone over the top. Maybe check the whole fence and see if an animal had bent or broken some of the wires to get in? What gauge wire is the fence?

two inches is plenty big enough for say a raccoon, opossum, mink...
many things.

Just spend 10 minutes search about predators on this site...you will come across hundreds and hundreds of peoples real life stories, with this exact (disbelief)

Is the top covered with wire or a solid surface? Where I live, there's hawks that regularly take laying hens. All you'd find in that case would be a few feathers, no body parts.

I agree with kikisgirls. Not to sound mean but that setup is far from adequate concerning security. Not only mammals but also snakes could easily get in. (I've killed 2 outside my run this week alone. We have a secure run and a open run with 2x4" fencing but they are only allowed out there when we are home.

Back
Top Bottom