3 chicks dead in two week... gapeworm?

shayzzz

Hatching
Mar 27, 2020
Hi All.

I've searched for info extensively but still feel I need to solicit advice. I bought 10 chicks from a local breeder 4 weeks ago (they were 1 week old at time of purchase). Because of coronavirus, I didn't enter the breeder's barn so I don't know what the conditions were like for the chicks before I got them. He selected them and brought them out to my car. The second week after purchase, I lost the first chick- a russian orloff that I believe was 2 weeks old. The symptoms for the first have been the same exact for the following two deaths- the chick reaches its head up with a wide open beak and shakes its head side to side. The first chick was found cold and limp. I warmed it up (thinking it may have been knocked down) and fed it sugar water. It perked up but started repeatedly stretching its neck with its mouth open wide. I thought it might have an impacted crop so I massaged it, the chick pooped but a few hours later it died. A second Russian Orloff showed the same symptoms a late last week so I babied it but it died within the hour of the gaping mouth symptoms. It kind of looks like the bird is desperate for air. Fluids leak out of their beak after they drink water. The third bird last night (coockoo maran). We found it a bit disheveled, and listless looking so I separated it out with its own warmer, molasses water, wet medicated feed. It drank on its own and was cheeping which the others hadn't done but after it drank, the gaping symptoms started with water dribbling out. No desire to eat. Dead in a few hours. All chicks looked smaller when compared to their littermates at the time of symptoms but not by a ton.

None of the surviving chicks are exhibiting the same symptoms but it seems to come quickly. Their food (and now water with Corid) is medicated for coccidiosis. My husband did a chick autopsy after this last one died and found two white things in the way back pharynx area (I'll attach a picture). They don't resemble gape worms but the videos I've watched of symptoms resemble gape worms more than coccidiosis. I'm really worried for the rest of the chicks (and one baby turkey) since the chicks seems fine until they are basically dying in my hands.

Their poops look within the realm of normal- white mixed in with brown or green. Some stool appeared less digested than other stool but not really any signs of blood.

Their brooder situation- They are in a very long cardboard box with a radiant heater on legs so they can huddle below it. Tallest in front for the turkey poult and shortest setting in the back for the chicks. They are on puppy pee pads which get changed daily.

They were eating organic starter food until yesterday when I switched to medicated feed. They were drinking clean filtered water and probiotic water until this morning when I changed to medicated water.

My intent is to figure out the next step. I'm fairly new to raising chickens. I have a healthy 8 hens that I raised this winter... they are about 16 weeks old. I'm afraid I'll get them sick from these chicks. I don't mind seeking vet help but the vet I use for our dog and cats doesn't see chickens. So finding the right help could take time I don't have. since tomorrow if Friday and then its the Easter holiday. I do have Safeguard dewormer but am afraid to deworm such young chicks...

Attachments

• worm.JPG
    worm.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 14
I would think if it were gapeworm, there would have been some visible in the trachea during necropsy. They’re unmistakable when you see them.
It doesn’t mean it wasn’t, but I just would think they would have been visible.

I don’t know what those white things are. I’m hoping someone has some insight.
I hope the others are ok!

I had a chick die last week and it too was gaping it’s mouth open for the last couple hours. It lived sick for a day or two before dying. What happened to him sounds like what happened to your chicks. I would bury the bodys or burn them. I wouldn’t throw them in the rubbish bin because that could spread the disease to other chickens.

I would google image search the worms and see if anything comes up.
Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom