3 day old chick not eating

I’m sorry I thought the chick was affected by pasty butt. My chick had pasty butt once,exactly looked like the pic u have sent of the vent.Didn’t want to risk it.I had a mushy chick once.My vet gave these medicine as follows:

Awww thank you so much!!
In lockdown at the moment, will have to wait a while, hope he can hang on that long :/
I hope he gets better soon, he means so much to me! And just watching his little buddy zoom around the room just makes my heart melt, hope he’ll be able to do that someday too!

Thanks everyone for your help, will keep updating!!:D

Ok so I think my chick might be blind. He has a small white dot in the middle of both eyes. The other chick doesnt have these white dots. He doesn’t react when i put my finger really close to his eyes, and if i place him on the ground and call to him, he just cries loudly and cant seem to find me. I definitely won’t be culling him, I think he deserves a chance at life. Is there any way I can teach him to eat/peck perhaps? Not sure if i can hand feed him forever. So far, I’ve also given him some chick crumble powder mixed with water to make a slurry.

Any ideas?
Thanks everyone!!:fl:fl

I raise chicks commercially. Sometimes, there may be nothing evident as to why a chick may not be thriving. It sounds like you're doing the right things; checking for pasty butt, etc. But, sometimes chicks just die! I usually think it may be that the chick got cold, but sometimes, they just die. They are amazingly durable animals in many ways, but they are fragile as well Good luck.
PS - Commercially, we anticipate about a 2% mortality rate... Sometimes, I have 0 mortality, sometimes up to 6%.

Good luck and keep trying!

Ok so I think my chick might be blind. He has a small white dot in the middle of both eyes. The other chick doesnt have these white dots. He doesn’t react when i put my finger really close to his eyes, and if i place him on the ground and call to him, he just cries loudly and cant seem to find me. I definitely won’t be culling him, I think he deserves a chance at life. Is there any way I can teach him to eat/peck perhaps? Not sure if i can hand feed him forever. So far, I’ve also given him some chick crumble powder mixed with water to make a slurry.

Any ideas?
Thanks everyone!!:fl:fl
I have never had long term success when a chick won't eat readily. I've fed them with eye droppers, etc. but none ever lasted more than a day.
Also, culling an animal is done to stop suffering and also to make sure that the disease (if any) isn't spread to other animals. I hate culling chicks, but sometimes it needs to be done.
Old farming wisdom rings true: Where there is live stock, there is dead stock. :-(

I have never had long term success when a chick won't eat readily. I've fed them with eye droppers, etc. but none ever lasted more than a day.
Also, culling an animal is done to stop suffering and also to make sure that the disease (if any) isn't spread to other animals. I hate culling chicks, but sometimes it needs to be done.
Old farming wisdom rings true: Where there is live stock, there is dead stock. :-(

That is so true😥
I may have to cull if he gets worse, apparently one deformity can mean more on the inside

U know I still wouldn’t want to cull a chick.
I had a weak chick that couldn’t eat.U know what I did?
take a handful feed and blend it in a blender(just the amount for this chick)don’t mix it with water to feed it and lure it.take a pinch of the powdery feed in ur finger and
Open its beak. Let the powdered stuff go down it’s neck.ik it must be very hard but if u try to feed it with spoon it won’t work.so u should still try and press bigger bits into his mouth with a pincher by a week.my chick survived for a long time after I fed it like that.
I wouldn’t want to push liquid into it mouth as it can reach it nostrils and cause a disaster and also force feeding chicks with a syringe can cause it a lot of stress.I hope ur chick survives

I love that u would to cull a chick to decrease its suffering but u know I had a weak chick once,by my care it lasted more than 3 months

Back
Top Bottom