3 day old chick very weak!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zookeeptd, Feb 25, 2012.

1. zookeeptd

zookeeptd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    North Mississippi
    I'm a newbie here and enjoy your forum! I'll tell more about myself and flock later but for now I need advice. We picked up our 25 3 day olds yesterday from Cackle. 1 of the Cherry eggers has been very weak and mostly alseep. Any advice? I have made sure she's drinking and she's been pecking some.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    When I have weak chicks like that, I make them a mash of chick starter and warm sugar water. Make it real wet so you can suck it up with a medicine dropper. Then squeeze a drop out and touch it to the end of the chicks beak. The baby should then swallow it down. Repeat until it doesn't want any more. Feed it this way every couple of hours until its up and eating on its own. Good luck and welcome to BYC!

3. zookeeptd

Feb 15, 2012
    North Mississippi
    Thank you I'm on it!!

4. zookeeptd

Feb 15, 2012
    North Mississippi
    She's just limp. Breathing kinda fast and won't even sit up or open her eyes but I did get a tiny amount in. I can't get any response from her at all by moving her or touching her. I feel she's not gonna make it. I know everyone says it's normal for a few to not make it but it just breaks my heart! Such a lil miracle so not fair!!

5. zookeeptd

Feb 15, 2012
    North Mississippi
    didn't make it. Thanks for trying to help.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am so sorry for your loss.

7. zookeeptd

Feb 15, 2012
    North Mississippi
    I thank ya'll. This is part of it I know but still gets to me. We ordered 25 chicks and 30 keets last Aug and only lost one keet. They were beautiful and we were having a blast with them! In Nov our coop was broken into by humans. It was like a nightmare out there. The coop wire was torn open in 2 places, one hole was chest high. They were dead everywhere. We had 3 guinneas and 2 Deleware hens alive. The local sherriff let me know they "had no time for a chicken coop". A guy who lives around the corner had the same thing happen to him twice. After some deep soul searching about having any more chickens,we've tried to do all we can to protect these new girls. I feel guilty for those getting killed and worry about putting more in danger. I just keep saying this is our home. We are not doing anything wrong. It's our choice and our right!

8. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    There's another post here about chick deaths from a recent order from Cackle... just FYI in case you haven't seen it yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by