3 day old chick with stuffy nose?

Swinneg

In the Brooder
May 7, 2021
One of my new chicks looks like it has a stuffy nose. It keeps scratching at its face, doing the drinking motion with its beak, and shaking its head. It sneezed earlier and it looks like snot came out or something. Also I can hear her nose clicking a little when she peeps. Her sister died last night and I will be crushed if I lose another. She's eating and drinking and fairly active I think. Brooder is about 95-100 under the heat lamp and 91 in their favorite sleep corner. They're on an electrolyte and vitamin mix already and eating non med chick feed. I didn't notice the same with the passed chick or any other of chicks. Please help me
Edit:. She just pooped out a weird string???? It looked almost like a worm but I'm pretty sure it was just a really weird poop, I looked at it and closely and mushed it around with a paper towel. sorry tmi...

Last edited:
That's a bit warm. I'd try lowering the broader temperatures. 90 degrees the first week is usually best. The cooler end end should be lower than that.

Where did you get them? Hatchery? Private breeder? Feed store? How old?

That's a bit warm. I'd try lowering the broader temperatures. 90 degrees the first week is usually best. The cooler end end should be lower than that.

Where did you get them? Hatchery? Private breeder? Feed store? How old?
Their sleeping spot is in the corner next to heat lamp so it's about 80 on the other side of the brooder. I'll move the lamp though. They hatched on Monday and arrived Wednesday from Meyer hatchery, the other three are almost annoyingly healthy. It's just the 2 lavender orpingtons that have had trouble. I really hope I don't lose the other one...

Their sleeping spot is in the corner next to heat lamp so it's about 80 on the other side of the brooder. I'll move the lamp though. They hatched on Monday and arrived Wednesday from Meyer hatchery, the other three are almost annoyingly healthy. It's just the 2 lavender orpingtons that have had trouble. I really hope I don't lose the other one...
They shouldn't have any respiratory illness coming from a hatchery. What are you using for bedding? Is the broader well ventilated?

They shouldn't have any respiratory illness coming from a hatchery. What are you using for bedding? Is the broader well ventilated?
Brooder is a 4x2 plastic storage tub filled with pine shavings. They're getting a bigger brooder tomorrow. Her poops are weird and stringy and sometimes watery but she's eating and drinking lots. She's also much smaller than my other orpingtons and doesn't have any tiny wing feathers like them. She looks pretty similar to when I got her Wednesday

Sometimes they just don't do well. Either some sort of internal defect, or the shipping was too much on them. Some have surprised me and have improved. I don't think there's much you can do but wait and watch.

Back
Top Bottom