3 day old chicks picking...

Autumn Mama

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
British Columbia,
Hi all,

Well our new chicks are finally here!!! Lots of excitement, and things are going well enough. They are Blue Laced Red Wyandottes!

I have noticed that they each seem to be picking themselves, one in particular around his wings.

Is this preening or picking? They are not picking at each other.

I have them warm at 93-95 degrees in their brooder, with a red heat lamp on them.

They are eating and drinking, and they came via McMurrays first to the Feed Co-Op where I ordered them, and we got them home today...I estimate they are 3-4 days old...

Thanks for any insight.
smile.png

Just bumping this up, as I'm a little worried.

I will search cannibalism too...

Any insight on my above post will be hugely appreciated; I feel so "new to all this''
hu.gif

Try decreesing the temp a little and see if they huddle up, and move the brooder light to one side of the brooder if they get chilled they will move to it, and if hot away from it. this may help.

AL

I think they're just preening...mine do that kind of thing all the time. I wouldn't worry about it. Mine even pick at each other a tiny bit...picking pieces of food or bedding off each other...and it seems OK. I don't think they're hurting each other and we don't have any bare spots or blood or anything.

As the feathers come in, tiny pin feathers, they have to crack the tubular casing off of each feather and then clean and arrange it. It's the ones who AREN'T doing this that should worry you, as they aren't energetic or with it enough for this basic task.

Okay, so it sounds within the range of *normal* for 3-4 day olds?

Preening was my first thought, but it seems to be doing it more often than the others, and the wings stick out a tiny bit more, I'll look closer. It may be smallest, but I think it has more wing feathers growing.

rscrvc, do they all do this eventually then?

It also tries to turn around to reach its' bum, but I think that is due to some pooh stuck on that may be hurting it. It cheeps loudly when it poops. I'll try cleaning more off. It seems so tender there.
sad.png

The learning curve is steep!!!

Back
Top Bottom