3 day old chicks

Danyander

Chirping
Feb 15, 2015
Oregon

We got our chicks Feb 13. This is our set up. My husband thinks we need to make a plywood top so they keep warm at night, they are in the garage. I think we will be fine with just the chicken wire top. Advice?

Also one of the chicks (gold sex link) seems to be having problems. The other chicks are running around but she seems to stay in one spot constantly trying to poo. Any ideas?

Does the one chick have pasty butt? Where droppings gets stuck in the down?

I built a plywood box very similar to the one you have. I have about 40 chicks in it with a heat lamp. It is in my shop. No AC or heat but it is insulated. I have no top on it. I have had this set up for about a month now and my chicks have been doing great! I believe that you would make the brooder to hot with a heat lamp on and a top on it. I put my lamp at an angle so that the chicks could get closer of cold or farther if to warm. They have been doing wanderful.

I would NOT put a lid on it. I believe you would overheat your chicks.

Yes, she did end up having pasty butt and died last night :(

Hubby did a combo of ply wood with chicken wire on top. He cut a hole in the plywood then put chicken wire under it. We don't have it over the lamp thou.he was going to do something different.

Back
Top Bottom