HELP. 3 day old ringnecks dying off

mgw

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Eastern Wa.
Wednesday 4/3 our ring neck chicks from Murray McMurray came and we put them in the brooder which is a 2’ x6’ x 2’ tall stock tank in our garage. It is lined with news paper now and is sitting on insulated pads not directly on the concrete we have chick booster in their water which is our well water. We are feeding purina game bird starter 30% unmedicated. We are using a 250w red heat lamp and the chicks are not piling under it so it plenty warm for them. Since Wednesday we have lost 10 chicks no real signs of illness just like they go to sleep and never come back. They live a little while but just get weaker and weaker until death. Not sure what is wrong we have brooded many chicks and ducks over the years and have never had issues like this. Hopefully someone here has seen this and can help us out . We live about an hour from any town that has farm and ranch supplies but am willing to go there and get anything we need,it currently snowing here but roads are fine.

What is the actual temperature at the bottom of the brooder? And what is the temperature differential at the other end of the brooder? (warm end / cooler end)
Did they get chilled during shipping?
We have used this setup for the last half dozen years and I havnt used a thermometer since the first year. That may not be a very good plan ,I am going to put one back in there. But on a positive note no dead chicks this morning and they all seem super active and healthy. So we lost 8 Wednesday ,Thursday , Friday and 2 in brooder Saturday morning. But no more since making this post 🤞🏼. No blame to the hatchery they are very good at what they do. Maybe the mail hauler had them by a drafty door in the truck while moving them from airport to our local post office. The post office called me before 5:00am so as soon as they arrived lol. We hope all goes well from here on and the 20 that are left will survive and thrive.

We have used this setup for the last half dozen years and I havnt used a thermometer since the first year. That may not be a very good plan ,I am going to put one back in there. But on a positive note no dead chicks this morning and they all seem super active and healthy. So we lost 8 Wednesday ,Thursday , Friday and 2 in brooder Saturday morning. But no more since making this post 🤞🏼. No blame to the hatchery they are very good at what they do. Maybe the mail hauler had them by a drafty door in the truck while moving them from airport to our local post office. The post office called me before 5:00am so as soon as they arrived lol. We hope all goes well from here on and the 20 that are left will survive and thrive.
I suspect something occurring during shipping. Most likely they got chilled.

Back
Top Bottom