3 day peep.. leg problem

that is totally what is going on with one of my chicks.. i did the bandaid thing for a couple of days. i think it helped a bit..put her in a box by herself or with another "calm chick" we had the two weaker ones by them selves in a box in the main box for about 3 days.. but now the bigger ones can get into the shoe box so we just put them with the others.

seh seems to be doing better though her legs are a bit weak still.. i hop eyou can figure it out.. i am sorry but i am totally new at this too. just passing on what i have gathered over the past week.. hubby says i am chicken obsessed!

I'll try the bandaid thing again later when I have a second set of hands to help. She needs a counter weight on her butt to keep her from tipping forward though.

Interesting info. I have a chick w/one leg that stays out to the side. She (assuming) can get around good, hops & eats well. The other chicks arent bullying her. I think she is the one that had stuff wrapped around her leg when she hatched.

Would the bandaid thing work for her?

in addition to the band-aid thing which I've used it it always works, ALSO, give the chick 2-3 drops of cod liver oil (unflavored) for about 3 consecutive days-- with an eye dropper (not forcing the cod liver oil but putting the drops on the end of its beak and letting it drink it)-- take a day off and repeat with the cod liver oil if necessary

Unfortunatly, I don't have any cod liver oil in the house. Is it to help heal or to keep her regular? We do have some of thoes vitamin fish oil gel tabs around.. I could poke a hole in one of them to get a few drops out.

yeah! the bandaid has her upright.. I'm not going to say standing yet.. but she's not tipping over (as much) as the first uneven bandaid job, AND she's getting around pretty well.. just found her sitting in her water dish (a big pickle jar lid)
*it's not even beak deep but big enough for her little fuzzy self to be parked in.

There is a website I stumbled on just yesterday that shows how to use a pipe cleaner to fix a chick with splayed legs. Looks pretty helpful. In case you want to check it out the address is:

http://www.thecozynest.com/pictures.htm

Good luck with your chickie! Hope it's better soon
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom