3 days before hatching?

jackrooster

Songster
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Maine
Umm.... do you take the eggs out of the turner 3 days before the are due to hatch?? is that what lock down is?? because im kinda confused......do you leave the egg in the turner the whole time untill they hatch or take them out 3 days before the hatch and if you do have to take them out of the turner the 3 day before.....do i have to turn them manually???? and last thing what dose lock down mean???

Like Drew said, if you keep them in the turner and they hatch, they get stuck and can become lamed.
sad.png

Lock down is when you pump up the humidity (It's different for everyone, but I mostly hear 60-65%) and then do *nothing* until the eggs are done hatching. No opening, no taking a chick out, nada. If you open it, the humidity is going to get out, and 'shrink wrap' the chicks that haven't fully hatched yet. (The membrane dries too much for them to both break it or move enough)

So right before lockdown, just take the turner out, and put the eggs on the sides in the bator, fill up the trays with water, then close and wait.
smile.png

Quote:
Yep, but also Sit on Your Hands!!! It's hard, but leave the chicks in there until the others are done hatching. If you are really worried about losing humidity, you can get some clear plastic tubing to snake into your bator and refill your resevoirs with it. Since I started doing this on the last couple of days I have had better success, no stuck zipped/pipped chicks.

Day 18 for chickens. Good luck, keep us updated on your results!

Back
Top Bottom