3 days have gone by, 3 cockerels found dead. What's happening!?-Part 2

Who are you talking to? Either way havahart traps are overpriced junk aimed at the regular homeowner that uses them once in a blue moon. I’ve had and still have some havahart traps and still use them. They are cheap flimsy over priced cages. I’ve caught well over a thousand raccoons in all kinds of traps. I’ve had raccoons literally cave in the sides, break the locking mechanisms and destroy the pan on the inside. Pull up the wire floor and bent it all outta wack too.
I have proof they’re junk. Especially for the price.
I was talking to YOU, mountain man, I'm a girl, not backing down from anyone. Why have the OP buy an expensive trap from maybe a "family" of raccoons? I was only trying to help, no need to get personal. BTW, I will be not responding to this, so don't bother.

Last edited:
I was talking to YOU, mountain man, I'm a girl, not backing down from anyone.
:lau I don’t care that you’re a girl? What does that have to do with anything? That’s good though you’d shouldn’t as long as you actually know what you’re talking about. One or even a few caught raccoons in a havahart doesn’t prove they’re well made and are of a good design.
On the subject of the havahart traps though I’ve set cameras on video mode many times and have seen the door hit the back of a a bunch of large raccoons, fox, and even a few big opossums. Some of them would simply back up and out of the trap. When that happens the door slams right in their face teaching them to never mess with another cage.

DP traps are better than cages and cheaper. See above post about “knowing what you’re talking about” :rolleyes:

You’re right. I’m just so used to setting them things. I’ve seen Fleming’s video before of them using a setter on a 110 and laughed til I realized they were serious. I suppose some people are very fragile nowadays. ;)
I wasn’t really thinking about women setting them. If your a guy and need it well you have bigger issues than a raccoon. :hmm
I teach a variety of chicken classes. One is a trapping class for predators from mink to coyotes. I cover box traps, dog proof and jaw leg traps, body traps and snares.
I've yet to have a woman in my class that wanted to tackle setting a conibear whether that be a 110 or a 330 - with a set tool or without but for safety sake I teach the use of all the setting tools. I have caught my finger in a 110 and it hurt. Luckily it didn't break but I can imagine what a 220 or larger would do without a setting tool.
UMMM.... As I stated, My MOTHER has caught and shot "60" well fed city raccoons in a Milwaukee suburb with a Havahart trap, that's just your opinion, It's OK to voice your opinion, but I have PROOF, they work. Just saying....
No one said Havahart traps didn't work. I certainly didn't. I've caught lots of 'coons and 'possums in one. I just said that over time the raccoons get wise to them and it is better to use a much more reliable trap if one really wants to catch the maximum number of raccoons. In a span of 2 months with a leg trap 20 feet from the havahart both with the same bait. The leg trap caught 9 raccoons while the havahart caught 2 opossums and zero raccoons.
The expensive trap is the havahart. The size I have is $65. The Duke raccoon leg trap is $13. So I can buy 5 of the latter for one havahart. Put them all over the property and catch multiple raccoons in a night.

You’re right. I’m just so used to setting them things. I’ve seen Fleming’s video before of them using a setter on a 110 and laughed til I realized they were serious. I suppose some people are very fragile nowadays. ;)
I wasn’t really thinking about women setting them. If your a guy and need it well you have bigger issues than a raccoon. :hmm
While we're on the subject, I have a body trap stabilizer but no idea how to use it.
Any advice?
https://www.flemingoutdoors.com/kb-body-trap-stabilizer.html

I teach a variety of chicken classes. One is a trapping class for predators from mink to coyotes. I cover box traps, dog proof and jaw leg traps, body traps and snares.
I've yet to have a woman in my class that wanted to tackle setting a conibear whether that be a 110 or a 330 - with a set tool or without but for safety sake I teach the use of all the setting tools. I have caught my finger in a 110 and it hurt. Luckily it didn't break but I can imagine what a 220 or larger would do without a setting tool.
No one said Havahart traps didn't work. I certainly didn't. I've caught lots of 'coons and 'possums in one. I just said that over time the raccoons get wise to them and it is better to use a much more reliable trap if one really wants to catch the maximum number of raccoons. In a span of 2 months with a leg trap 20 feet from the havahart both with the same bait. The leg trap caught 9 raccoons while the havahart caught 2 opossums and zero raccoons.
The expensive trap is the havahart. The size I have is $65. The Duke raccoon leg trap is $13. So I can buy 5 of the latter for one havahart. Put them all over the property and catch multiple raccoons in a night.
Most people aren’t strong enough to set a 220, 280 or 330 by hand anyway. I’ve caught my hands in 110s maybe 100 times? It doesn’t particularly feel good but it’s not the end of the world.
I’ve been trapping for awhile for fur and not just around my property to keep all my free range chickens relatively safe. I trap from the beginning of the fur season til the end every year.
What kind of class do you actually teach on trapping? I’m curious what you actually teach and how long you’ve been trapping consistently.

While we're on the subject, I have a body trap stabilizer but no idea how to use it.
Any advice?
https://www.flemingoutdoors.com/kb-body-trap-stabilizer.html
You have to set the trap inside it and let the jaws open some before setting the dog. I don’t use those kinds of stabilizers but a lot of them are similar. Make sure to wire off the stabilizer so it doesn’t go missing.
AA82E023-337D-43A9-838F-6E3A830679F5.jpeg

1FE87048-D909-4464-B75A-1F3BFB24737D.png

Pssst... they’re properly called “coil spring” or “foot hold” traps, rather than “leg trap” or “leg hold” ;)

Back
Top Bottom