3 dead chickens, only 1 left

A friend would be a good idea, but they will peck for a few days to figure out who's number one. I think companion ship would be good at this point because she is alone.

As for as predators, everyone has some good suggestions. If you could describe more of how the bodies were eaten. If it was just heads or if it was just neck, what type of bite marks and so on. As bad as it sounds. Often a picture is worth a thousand words for the future if it happens again, but we hope it never does.

With a 5 inch gap, even at a top of a fence, a coon could easily squeeze in. Chain link is notorious for small animals like weasels to get in and kill birds. Sadly, since chickens are the treats of the predator world, almost nothing short of a complete enclosure with one inch wire mesh all the way around and buried wire to prevent digging will make them 100% safe.

Wish you the best of luck at catching what ever killed them.

It has been suggested here that to identify your predator to sprinkle flour on the ground around the coop and you can figure out by the foot prints that are left. Makes since, then you knwo what you are battling.

Mink & Weasles can fit/walk threw chain link fence.
You will not see anything out of place or bent.

You got to get some traps set.

RAT traps are about $2.00 each
call around and see if you can borrow a live trap
"hava-hart-trap" from some one or go to your local feed store and buy one.

you might have to go to "hardware cloth" for the portion of the coop for chickens to live in, when you are not in there with them ! if it's mink or weasel, or one of the other small rodent-type predators ... chain link is way too large to keep them out ... could even be a rat ... also notorious for getting through "impossible" sized holes ..

believe me, your poor hen will be lonely ... but deal with the security problem first ... and double check that tack room ... some predators will follow the scent and get in there unless truly secure

wishing you better luck ...

Candy

Last edited:
good luck getting that preditor! When you introduce the new "friend" try to get one of the same or similar size and age if you can, then put them together in the dark so they wake up together. Often they won't remember that the other wasn't there all along! Less stressful for both - if they do need to work out the pecking order it helps if they are similar size and age.

good luck!

M

Shannon, I think putting her in the tack room is going to be your best bet for now. She will at least feel safe in an enclosure, and if it's anything like my tack room, there are probably lots of places for her to nest and hide at night (mine is a mess
roll.png
).
There are a few members in NC and they may be able to give you some insight, or maybe you can call the Department of Fish and Game and see if they know?
Also, since there are BYC members out your way, maybe someone will be able to help you get a friend or two for your girl.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi again,

Thank you for all of your suggestions. Our tack room is super secure so I was not worried about her in there, plus we put her in an extra large dog crate in the tack room and she seems fine.

Will work to super secure the chicken coop and chicken yard before she will ever be out there alone at dark/night and a neighbor has some older chickens that we will bring over to slowly introduce once that is taken care of.

Wish us luck, still no idea what we are dealing with.

-S

Back
Top Bottom