3 ducks sat in 1 nest

So I had a good look this morning wen they got off nest to feed and drink. Looks like there are 2 nest side by side and the 3rd broody is just sat on nothing so I'm goin to keep the 2 on their eggs and try to remove the 3rd and break her broody state

Attachments

• 20190605_072716.jpg
    20190605_072716.jpg
    952.1 KB · Views: 8
They are comforting each other.

If they don’t come off then I’d remove them.

How many nests do ya got?
If you only have one then you need to make at least 2 more than the amount of ducks you have. Example: 3ducks you need 5nests.
On both sides of the coop so they have a little privacy.

I haven't experienced it, but my mom said that often when more than one bird decides to sit on the same nest, the eggs don't hatch (or not as many of them hatch that would have) because not all of them get set on properly. Like, when it's just one duck she gets all the eggs under her body and keeps them warm, but when there's multiple ducks, there tend to be eggs that end up in the cracks and jostled in bad positions where they don't get enough time under the Mommas. That's her experience anyway. Best of luck to your ladies!

So.. one of my Cayuga ducks went broody about a week ago. I was unsure if I should seperate her from the rest but one of my allotment pals said to just leave her were she was.. then a few days later another started to sit with her and refused to move and now a few days later again a 3rd has joined them. I managed to count about 20 eggs under them. Would it be best to try and seperate them all and decide the eggs between them or just leave them all to sit on one big nest. They all seem happy sat together but I don't want any fighting over ducklings once they hatch.

They look happy to me :)

Back
Top Bottom