3 eggs then nothing, normal?

Ruffled Feathers

Songster
Apr 14, 2021
The first of the young hens started laying. It was two weeks early so was happy for her to start. There were two eggs in two days then she took a few days off before then next. Seemed normal enough to someone who is new to chickens. Now it’s been a week with no eggs at all. Is this unusual? The other hens should start laying soon but may be slower starters. Am I designed to eat greek yogurt and no eggs for breakfast?

They don’t free range so no hidden nests, plus 2 eggs have been in a nesting box and #3 was in the coop. I added golf balls to the nesting boxes to encourage going back to laying there. They have a big run and bedding gets changed regularly (Arguably bigger and cleaner than my first college apartment many years ago). Could an exceptionally hot week have anything to do with it? or a few days with thunderstorms? do hens not like to golf? We upped the protein to help but it hasnt appeared to make a difference, could the diet be hurting production? Are they apprehensive about how our football team will do Saturday with a new coach? I try not to talk too much about sports with them and absolutely avoid politics or current events. Any suggestions about what normal is or what I should do to help the girls along?

They must have realized they started early, so now are waiting until the official 'due date'.

As long as they are eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK,
all you can do is wait.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

The heat could be in play.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1630360408086.png

Thanks aart!

Am in WV. The girls are their normal selves turning food into fertilizer, playing the xylophone, taking dust baths, and playing on their monkey bars.

They get all the layer feed (16 or 18%) they can eat in the morning. Plus they get a daily something extra in the late afternoon like scratch grains or some veggies or mealworms & dandelion leaves (they love those as much as meal worms). A friend gave me some higher protein feed she uses with her hens when it’s time to start laying. They have had it a few times (they empty a smaller container pretty quickly) and other days they have had a little scrambled eggs. Another friend with decades of chicken experience suggested adding a cap full of apple vinegar to their water. That’s been going on for a few weeks. They haven’t run out of food or water before refilling. We got a new coach from Alabama, it’s his first time as a head coach but I think the girls are optimistic about him and the season as the other animals and I are.

Back
Top Bottom