3 feather pluckers in the flock!

Quote:
I know you said you don't think it is nutritional, but I just want to add that in all of the things you listed in their diet, there isn't a whole lot of protien...I know some people have had problems with Layena in particular being too low in protien. It may have started out as a protien deficiency, and become a habit. I would still add black oil sunflower seeds and other good protien sources to their diet regularly...try some game bird feed mixed into their layena or some animal protiens like crushed boiled eggs or scrambled eggs, or even scraps of cooked meat...or things like mealworms (though those are also high in fat). it MIGHT help with the plucking...and at the very least, will help spead the regrowth of feathers on your bald birds.

Another thing you could try if you want to get that involved, is filing down the tip of the worst offender's beak. Just the very bottom tip of the upper beak so that it doesn't come to such a harsh point, and therefore, does not yank feathers out as easily.

The replys others have already given covers separation etc pretty well. Good luck, and keep us updated!

Last edited:
I added BOSS to the diet and let them roam. My RSL hens are way more aggressive than the EEs.They are the type to peck an EE just for having the nerve to come near them.If an EE tries to eat some scratch the RSL is all over them. I just have one RSL hen left and she is still a witch. I may just rehome her or cull,because having her bully the others constantly is just annoying. No matter how long I would pull a bully they would just hop right back in and be super mean.

I had some issues with many of the flock being plucked.Lol,we even named one hen Pluckers because as a teen chicken she would sneak up to others at pluck at them.Thankfully she never actually pulled feathers out. Some hens I brought inside to heal.When a lot were plucked I just BLUE KOTED most of them...even the normal ones.So EVERYONE had purple patches. I swear some were plucking at themselves.It took weeks for the feathers to grown in.Some sweaters or covers would help save the backside.Lol,just need some good hats now!

Some pictures of the injured.One EE head. One RSL back.One of feathers coming in on an EE back:

38921_017.jpg

38921_004.jpg

38921_feather.jpg

aw, poor girl!

Have you tried separating the RSL for a while then re-introducing her? I would probably rehome her somewhere with more assertive birds
hmm.png

I had one that was pecked dang near feather less. I removed her & let her grow her feathers back took about a month and a half. Gave her a high protein diet. Re-introduced her & shes having a hard time with the flock they chase her & they won't let her sleep on the roost. Their pulling their feathers out & I'm pulling my hair out. I've about had it with them. I have another flock that are great birds but I won't let them near the other flock.
I don't know how to stop feather picking. Seems like with the cold weather they would wake up & want their feathers back. Who knows I take it one day at a time.

Oh man!! I have a group of 6 in together and all but 2 have bare spots on their lower back just above the tail. Dang. The one that doesn't have any feathers out of place is my Rhode Island Red. My Black Sex Link is juuuust starting to show some feathers missing. At first they look roughed up...ruffled and then they go missing. Dumb me I thought they'd knock it off but it sounds like I need to get in there and show them all who's boss. ME!

What are these peepers you speak of and how do you get them on? Can they still use nipple waterers with them?

I have been dealing with feather picking for months now. It started when one of the birds was injured and I didn't separate her quick enough. The other chickens pecked a hole in her. I tried all the advice, more protein, alleviate boredom, enough space, then tried the pinless peepers. It takes two people to put them on. The peepers worked great for about 2 months, but now they are picking again (with the peepers). It is winter and I now have most of my flock of 12 girls with this bad habit. Only the top 2 hens are not picked bald. My one rooster has a bare butt too. So, I am planning to get new chicks in the spring and will be sending my current flock to freezer camp sometime next summer. Now, I am trying to figure out which breed to get that won't have this problem. Is there a breed that won't feather pick? This is my first year with chickens and it is dissapointing to have to replace them after 1 year.

Well I took the worst 2 pluckers and put them in other runs. We'll see how they make out with the existing birds in each run....and see if those other glas can start to regrow some plumage!

Back
Top Bottom