3 hens..1 rooster?

Chickenylady

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2018
Hi all!

This is my first post.. yay!

I recently bought 3 speckled sussex hens, they are staying at a friends right now until my coop is predator proofed (should be home within the week).

However that same friend has a mixed breed rooster that she is trying to rehome, she would like me to take him and I wouldn't mind but I am concerned about the ratio of hens to rooster. I have had issues in the past with mean roosters and I just really don't want a repeat...any thoughts?

I honestly wouldn't have any plans of letting these eggs actually hatch and if I did ever want to breed I would probably purchase a speckled sussex rooster as I love the breed.

Edited to add: My coop/run combo is 10x10.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The ratio isn't too big a deal as long as he is in fact a rooster and not a hormonally crazed cockerel. But as @oldhenlikesdogs writes, if you don't want him, don't take him.
Why is your friend looking to rehome this rooster? Many times, they are being rehomed because they are aggressive. If you've interacted with him and he is not showing signs of being aggressive AT ALL, you could give it a try.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The ratio isn't too big a deal as long as he is in fact a rooster and not a hormonally crazed cockerel. But as @oldhenlikesdogs writes, if you don't want him, don't take him.
Why is your friend looking to rehome this rooster? Many times, they are being rehomed because they are aggressive. If you've interacted with him and he is not showing signs of being aggressive AT ALL, you could give it a try.
Agreed

You will get lots of advice about needing eight, ten, maybe even twelve hens per rooster as being the optimal number, and if you think about it pragmatically, it seems as though it should be the best ratio for the sake of the hens.

HOWEVER...there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of breeders and fanciers keeping one rooster per four, three, two, maybe even just one hen in each pen. And guess what? The hens are fine and the rooster is happy.

I think it all depends on the individual birds involved. My own ratios across the three flocks I've currently got are one to seven, one to five, and two (cockerals, at that!) to five and everyone seems fine so far. I have more problems accommodating the bachelor rooster and the four young cockerals, to be honest.

Last edited:
My ladies were born in early June and raised by 4-Hers, I bought them at a sale this past weekend. This rooster is pretty young as well but not sure of exact age as my friend really isn't as attentive with her chickens as I would suggest lol.

She hatched out several chicks in the early spring and has ended up with 3 roosters and only 2 separate coops so she wants to re-home one as her coops aren't big enough to house 2 roosters happily.

Her chickens are all very small compared to other birds...not sure if this is because of lack of proper nutrition as chicks or if they are of the bantam variety..

No pictures of my coop yet! Will post some soon! Its a 10x10 dog kennel that we built a roof for and predator proofed.

Back
Top Bottom