3 HENS & 4 fertilized EGGS!

goosiesnougs

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 4, 2014
New England
I have 3 silkies that have a "due date" in 5 days. My problem is they are sharing 4 fertilized eggs, sharing a big rabbit breeding cage lined with straw etc.. They take one another's eggs when one gets up to eat/ drink& pop! Not fighting at all. Wondering how this is going to play out when 4 eggs are being shared and rotated by the 3 girls? Will they all share the chicks? Will one hen become momma?
I would love to know what to expect next Thursday? Has anyone else had this experience?

Sorry I don't but I will continue subscribing to thi thread to read more. Do let us know how it goes please.

Good luck
Ct

Oh it has, I have read threads on the subject but have forgotten it all - goldfish memory I'm afraid! Try searching for threads - you're bound to find them.

Ct

I've googled and found someone with the exact situation.... And she had no replies!!
1f601.png

Type multiple broodys in the BYC search bar - just did it and seen lots of threads

Ct

Last edited:
None of you BRILLIANT people on here has had this happen? Someone that raises silkies must know? I've never had a broody hatch for me ( all incubator chicks
1f60a.png
) I would like to know especially so I know how to set up my coop in preparation. Thank I in advance!

Were the eggs all placed under the broodies at the same time...so would have same hatch date?

I've never had multiple broodies and never had silkies.....but....

.....have read that multiple broodies can either all get along and share the chicks and eggs......

....and have also read that they can become craven chick killers.

Only time will tell.
Even if you found someone with the exact same situation as you, chances are their individual birds will have acted differently than yours would/will.

Thank you for taking the time to answer! The broodiness seemed to be infectious... One then another and then the third. They had all sat in coop on the floor together for about a week before I moved them and my kids convinced me it would be fun to give them some eggs! My silkies all get along really well and the only argument I've ever seen was actually yesterday when one of the broodies was at the waterer and she started chest butting and pecking another because she wasn't wanting to share
1f62c.png
. My good ol' roo intervened and she went back to her nest. It's funny to watch because when one broody gets up the other will see the egg she left behind and roll it under her chest :lol:
I guess that I'll keep them in together and just keep an eye on everyone on hatch day. Separate them if any fights break out:fl

My silkie hens have always teamed up to mother chicks. It's happened when I have had multiple broodies hatch at the same time, and also when there was just one hen doing the hatching. It's really funny to watch the brood run from one to another for food or to keep warm. While the silkies are dealing with the chicks the one non-silkie bantam hen acts as a lookout for predators.

Yours may behave similarly, or not. You won't know until the chicks hatch.

Back
Top Bottom