3 hens killed in one week

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
So annoyed, last teusday one of my hens were killed, feathers EVERYWERE and the had a mark in her back, also my Cream legbar Melow was missing (her were abouts still remain unknown), i didn't have many feathers to follow for Melow so that wasn't much use. Today (teusday) i go up again to fins ever more feathers every were and a hen missing, im so sick of this, the attacks are happening through the day!, so i don't even worry about locking them it because theire is no point. I have seen a Buzzard up there on 2 occasions, on saturday and sunday last week and Melow and Flora were killed the teusday. Here are some pics of the feathers etc. i think it could possibly be a fox but a gamekeeper told us her dosen't think it is because it would go for them all.
Flora:

Bite/claw mark:

Workids today feathers:

Workid is the hen next to the Ancona Bantam

Melow:

RIP girls :'(

I think a buzzard is unlikely. I have seen fox take one or two, even return for more as the need for food arises. When I've seen that kind of damage, it's been either fox, dog or coyote.

I think a buzzard is unlikely. I have seen fox take one or two, even return for more as the need for food arises. When I've seen that kind of damage, it's been either fox, dog or coyote.
we thaught a dog but were has it took the missing hens to??

Maybe it was a Racoon?!!!
Its so annoying to just find feathers all over the place I hate that!!
he.gif

Good luck!

We don't have Racoons or Cyotes. If it gets anymore my hens will have to be in there shed untill i can sit with them for abit during the day, or they will be let out at lunch time un supervised when my uncle is usually near by the field then i would shut them in at about 4 o'clock, hope it dosen't come down to that, they would probableis rather be dead!, after winter i will probablies get some more flighty hens in replcment just so they would stand more of a chance...

Can you make a pen for them around their shed? Even if it's temporary, maybe use some electric poultry netting? Just something to help deter whatever has decided to snack on them.
the killings are no were near the shed, the field is huge and the ones who free range the furthest away are the ones who die, We are going to talk to a gamekeeper and see what the options are but there is no way i will give up my hen keeping for a fox or what ever it is!

Back
Top Bottom