3 hens sitting

harley96cube

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 3, 2010
I have several EE hens and one Rooster. They were all born last spring (2011).
We have been happily eating the eggs the girls give us, but almost 3 weeks ago, one of the hens pecked me and wouldn't get up when I went to pick eggs.
I figured we might as well give it a go and just let her sit.
It must have been contagious, because two more became broody within a couple of days.
So we have been picking the eggs that the other girls are laying on the floor, etc. but have left probably a total of 20 eggs under the 3 sitting hens.
I am watching every day to see the signs of a hatch and found 1 egg partially open with a dead chick.
Currently all of the chickens including the rooster share a coop and are able to go out into a fenced in yard any time.
I think I need to build a platform and ramp for the chicks to walk down after the hatch as the nest boxes are about 2 ft. off the ground with no ramp/steps. The hens have no problem jumping up in, but chicks certainly couldn't.

Should I close all of the chickens in the coop until hatch is over?
Should I set up a box to put the chicks in after they hatch?

I know I will have to put a small waterer and lower feeder in for the chicks, but how would I then keep the adults from eating their food (the hanging feeder I have for the adults is always available and full of food, so they aren't hungry)

My coop takes up half of the building it is in and the other half is where I store the food/bedding, etc.

Maybe I should set up the box with a heat lamp outside the coop but still in the building and take the chicks and put them in their away from the adults?

What should I do?

Are the nest boxes elevated, or just the coop??? I wasn't clear on that. If the nest boxes are elevated, you'll want to move the hens to nests on the floor of the coop, at least within a day of the chicks hatching. Because if a chick fell out of an elevated nest box, it would have no way of getting back to mama.

I wouldn't shut the coop door, I'd just temporarily screw a 4 -5 inch board across the bottom of the door way. Yes, you will need a ramp for the chicks. I added shingle material down my ramp to make it very easy for the chicks (very grippable) to climb up/down. My mama hen didn't take her crew out until they were a week old, but I'm sure that varies.

I would get rid of layer feed in the coop, and just use Flock Raiser (or something similar). It's safe for chickens of all ages. You will not need a heat lamp...mama should take care of them just fine. They will go under her for warmth. Good luck with your hatch. Hope you get some healthy chicks!

To move hens to the floor, how should I do that.
I can certainly move the hen out, and put "her" eggs in a nesting spot on the floor. Will she know to go to that spot?
Should I block off the elevated nesting boxes until after the hatch?

Ramp and blocking of the bottom of the door temporarily should be pretty easy.
Thanks!

If you move them now, then I'd either:
1) put buckets laid on side or even a cardboard box (something that gives a sense of privacy), fill with bedding, move eggs and chicken(s) - but you would have to block off the nest box if they try to go back...she might not try.
2) if your nest boxes are screwed into the wall, simply unscrew them and set them on the floor
3) some put the eggs and chicken into a dog crate in the coop. That way she can't abandon the eggs. When she gets settled, the crate door can be left open...

There is a small chance that if you move a broody and her eggs, she will abandon give up on being broody. It's not common, but it does happen. You might be better off waiting until the day they're all hatched to move them below, because then she would certainly stay with them and not go back up to the box....

I think I'll just chance a chick falling/jumping down and wait until they are all hatched to move them down.
I'll just watch close.

That way I won't have to block the nests off.

I told my kids that this is an experiment and that we probably will lose some chicks and some eggs may not hatch. They understand pretty well and are excited to watch/help.

I'll try to get some good pictures and videos as well.
Thanks again.

No pecking or peeping yet.
I blocked the bottom of the door so chicks can't get out but adults can.
These 2 hens looked like they were mad at me and they weren't moving. One other hen ran out when I went in.
Looks like 3 broody hens and a 4th that just left her eggs.

Back
Top Bottom