momma hen with new chicks just sits in the corner of the coop

bigego9931

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2023
First time momma hen. She was a broody hen and I gave her 4 new chicks she did NOT hatch. They quickly imprinted with momma and visa versa. From my past experience the momma usually walks the chicks around the coop and run teaching the chicks how to scratch for food and find water within a couple days. This momma hen sits in the same corner with the chicks. I have water close and toss chick starter close so the chicks can eat. Should I move the water farther away and stop giving the chick starter? It's been a week, seems they should be moving around more.

How are the chicks themselves? Do they look and act healthy? How dark is the coop? How cold is it in your area? She might be just taking it easy with them, and if it's cold out, she might be just sitting to keep them warm.

How are the chicks themselves? Do they look and act healthy? How dark is the coop? How cold is it in your area? She might be just taking it easy with them, and if it's cold out, she might be just sitting to keep them warm.
The chicks look fine. It's been in the low to high 70's. The coop is not dark and is a dirt floor covered in hay. Just seems like longer than normal. They seem normal other wise.

Little over 2 weeks. Maybe I have different expectations than her. It looks to me like momma is over protective. She is not high on the pecking order. When other hens or me get near her and the little ones she backs up into the corner. No one is pecking her or the chicks. Our coop is 15x30 divided into roosting on one side and nesting on the other. I will try running all the hens to the nesting side each morning for a few days and see what happens.

Little over 2 weeks. Maybe I have different expectations than her. It looks to me like momma is over protective. She is not high on the pecking order. When other hens or me get near her and the little ones she backs up into the corner. No one is pecking her or the chicks. Our coop is 15x30 divided into roosting on one side and nesting on the other. I will try running all the hens to the nesting side each morning for a few days and see what happens.
I would try separating the mother and chicks from the flock (if possible). It would be safer for the chicks and the mother hen might be willing to move more. (With your coop size, I'm assuming you have a lot of hens? There's probably more aggression going on do to so many birds, so the mother hen probably doesn't feel safe with her chicks.)

If it's been a week and they are doing good other than momma hen not wandering around with them? I wouldn't try moving or separating them, if it's not broken don't try to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom